Chapter VII - Step by Step

Avengers Headquarters, the day after the funeral

Victor Faust POV

"Is this really all you can do?"

"It hurts Dad."

"Do you think it didn't hurt your mother when she laid on that bed?! Do you think it doesn't hurt me when I see her grave?!"

"I'm sorry." A quiet sob from a child echoed in the empty house.

Today is a bid day. Victor was wearing his costume for the first time. It wasn't anything special. He was wearing black army boots, black pants, and a vest made from fire-retardant material with an additional layer of scale armor underneath. His arms were covered by a deep blue jacket that reached his knees. Swallowing hard, he entered the training hall. Inside Wanda and Vision, Sam was already present. Victor swallowed even harder when he saw Wanda wearing a scarlet cloak, a red corset, and knee-high boots.

"Oh my God, woman!"

"Why thank you! You also look dashing, Merlin."

Victor blushed, catching himself broadcasting his thoughts so loudly. He kicked himself mentally for his lack of control. Thankfully, Wanda seemed to appreciate his thoughts, as she was looking at him with a cute, tilted head and a small smile.

"Avengers!" Captain America, with Natasha at his side, addressed everyone. "You are all capable individuals, but more importantly, you need to work as a team. When we go out there, we all need to rely on each other to accomplish the mission. This is why we will push you all to your absolute limits and build a real team out of you."

The following speech brought the most intense and physically exhausting training in Victor's life. However, it showcased the potential of the team. He and Wanda were covered in sweat, sitting together on a bench, sipping water.

"We don't look good compared to the rest." Wanda groaned.

"Well, to be fair, we are compared to an ex-marine, a super spy, an android with an infinity stone, and a bloody Captain America." Speaking of the devil, Steve approached the pair.

"Victor, we need to spar."

"Pardon?"

"We are the least familiar with your abilities, and S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't have much information about you or magic in general. This will be a good chance to see how you deal with one-on-one." Victor moved his hand through his hair. Wanda gave him a slight push.

"Go get him, Merlin."

"Can we stop with the nickname?" She just smirked and moved a sweaty strand of her hair from her face.

"So... How do we do this?" Steve answered by throwing his shield at Victor's face. "Oh shit."

Victor ducked, and as soon as he raised his head, he felt a fist on his jaw. Victor took a step back and felt another, this time metallic, hit on the back of his head. He felt forward, and Steve, almost at the same time, caught his shield and delivered a quick series of punches and kicks. Victor fell to the ground with a groan. Everything started to shake before his eyes. 

He rolled backward and raised his hand, creating a magical circle. Blue lighting rushed at Steve, who absorbed them with his shield. Rogers rushed at a shocked Victor. Faust, at the last moment, created a barrier that pushed Steve back. Captain throws his shield again, but this time Victor telekinetically grabs it and throws it back at him. The force knocked Rogers off balance. Victor clapped his hands and waved in two serpents that rushed and coiled around Steve.