Chapter XV - Love and Tears

Faust Manor, July 16th, 2016, Poland.

Victor Faust POV

"Rise and shine!" Victor heard the chirpy voice of Strange. He opened his eyes slowly and saw him, now in all colors, smirking at them. "Can you two stand up?"

Wanda beside him shifted and ever so slowly rose to her feet. Victor wanted to do the same, but he groaned loudly, feeling the aftermath of everything he had been through. He started to fall midway, only for Wanda to hold him in place. Before he was able to thank her, she retracted her hands as if burned. Her head was hanging low. She looked tired, trying to hide her face in the dark sea of her hair. Victor sent a small mental probe towards Wanda, only to meet a cold, iron wall.

"Now, first things first." Strange waved his hands, and the Eye of Agamotto opened. The Time stone released a deep green light that coiled into Faust's body. Strange turned his hand like one would turn a clock, and Victor's body, especially the right arm, gradually healed. He moved it a bit for testing.

"Thank you, I-" He was interrupted by a loud crash as a big chunk of house came crushing down. The dust cloud gradually revealed Edmund's bedroom, which was now missing most of its wall.

"Oh right, I almost forgot." Strange made the same hand gestures, and Faust Manor slowly repaired itself. "Consider this my housewarming gift."

"Ok, seriously now. How did you end up here? And where is the Ancient One?" Stephen's face lost its mirth.

"This is a long story, but the Ancient One passed away. I'm sorry you didn't know."

Victor closed his eyes. Even with his body healed, this was all too much.

"I never said goodbye to her."
"She chose me to be the next Sorcerer Supreme and made me promise to keep my eye on you. I always keep my promises." Victor, being way past exhaustion, offered his hand to Strange.

"Thank you for saving us and for the fixes. You do her proud." Stephen's smile reached his eyes as he returned the gesture. Victor then noticed the myriad of scars on his hands. "Huh, nice hands."

"Thanks, so are yours." The red veins in Victor's hands once again felt like they used to. Like they should do. "I can fix the body easily enough. But as for the mind..." He looked at Wanda, who was focused on tugging the end of her hair hard. "Ironically, it takes time for the mind to heal. Anyway, my job here is done. There is no trace of the Nightmare left. You two should be safe."

Strange waved his hands and opened a portal. Orange sparks rained down on the grassy field. "Stay safe, you two. Should you ever need me, I defend the New York Sanctum; you know where it is, right?" Victor nodded. "Good, I will keep my eyes on you two. Stay safe."

As soon as he was gone, Wanda whispered.

"He really healed you? You aren't in pain?"

"Yes. That's the Time Stone for you. Wanda we-"

"I need a bath." She rushed back home with her hands close to her torso.

"Wanda, honey, wait."

"I really need a bath." She spoke without turning and disappeared inside.

With the biggest sigh of his life, Victor slowly moved back inside the manor. He entered the now-restored kitchen and splashed his face with the cold water from the sink. The clock on the wall showed 7:50 a.m., meaning they spent an entire day and night in this thing's world. Blocking a yawn, he started cooking. They both needed to eat something. Then, he might just collapse and sleep for a year.

July 18th

He carried another bowl of steaming red stew to their bedroom. Moving aside the cold, untouched soup and a plate with a half-eaten sandwich, Victor knocked on the door.