Chapter XIV - Nightmare, Part 1

"I'm not sure if I understand, Victor."

"Really? Seems self-explanatory."

"To me, it seems impossible."

"Wanda, at the end of the day, magic comes down to siphoning energy, either from yourself or other planes of existence. You take it and shape it with your will. Now, with your chaos magic, it's just cracked up to eleven."

"I know, but it is written here that I can change reality!"

"Yeah. It's a bit of a coincidence that I can use order magic and your chaos magic... Isn't it?"

Faust Manor, July 15th, 2016, Poland.

Victor Faust POV

The last couple of nights were exhausting, but not in the way Victor would've liked. The weird energy that lingered in the house seemed to be getting stronger and stronger. Furthermore, lately not only Victor suffered nightmares but also Wanda. Victor was currently outside the house, tending to his newly planted garden. His hands poured magic like a gentle rain cloud. The entire area was filled with blossoming shrubs with yellow and red leaves. There was even a new Bob. The tiny black cactus wiggled left and right, taking in the magical rain.

"You want some coffee?" Wanda asked, holding a steaming-hot cup. Victor eagerly grabbed it.

"Thank you, honey." She sits cross-legged on the grass next to him. She massaged her temples.

"Headache?"

"From the lack of sleep, yes." Victor ripped off a single yellow leaf and offered it to her.

"Chew on it." In a show of remarkable trust, Wanda immediately bit the leaf. She froze for a second. Her green eyes widened as she started to chew faster. "Better, right?"

"What's that?" She asked in between bites.

"It's my new plant called Matilda. Her leaf's numb nerves. But don't swallow it; I don't know how internal organs might react."

After a minute, Wanda pulled out the chewed leaf.

"You are remarkable with plants. How do you even make them exactly?"

"By a process of trial and error, mostly. Grandmother Ida taught me how to access the energies of the realm she called Avlee. It's literally an endless forest full of greenery and animals. I mix its energy with my own and slowly pour it on plants. Eventually, they change, hence, for example, Matilda. Although I'm never sure how they will turn out."

"You impress me every day." She kissed his cheek. He couldn't hide a swell of pride every time she praised him. "I will make us some dinner, all right?"

"Great! I need one more hour, and I will join you." Wanda cleaned off her jeans and went back inside.

For the next half hour, Victor was immersed in his work. Suddenly, there was a shift in the air. The hair on his neck stood straight. This weird energy that lingered in their home was now felt outside. However, what was most alarming was that his arms felt different. Their permanent red hue was still there, but his veins felt muddy. Like something thick and icky replaced his blood there. He rushed back home. He found Wanda in the kitchen with her back turned to him. Her posture was stiff. Victor slowly moved forward. The only voice was coming from her chopping carrots. One cut after another, the blade was hitting the wooden board.

"Honey? I'm back." Wanda's body visibly shivered. She cracked her neck and looked at him with a massive grin.

"Hey, sweet thing, the dinner isn't ready yet. Could you wait a bit more?" Her face kept being stretched by the giant grin. She kept moving the knife while her eyes were fixated on Victor.