Chapter V - Promise

"Do you remember what magic is?"

"Of course, grandmother. Magic is the energy we siphon from either ourselves or the universe. Through our will, we shape it."

"Yes, that's what your father would say. Now listen, Victor. Magic is life. It is the quintessential essence of our experience. If you wish to understand magic, you need to understand life."

"And how do I do that?"

"You simply have to live and love. You will see one day."

He smelled vanilla. There was a quiet humming in his ears as his body lay on something soft. However, he primarily felt vanilla and dull pain. Once Victor opened his eyes, he saw thick black hair lying on his chest. He stirred, and the hair rose, revealing Wanda. Her eyes were red, exhausted, and empty. She was still wearing the same clothes as when he last saw her.

"Victor, you are alive." She whispered.

"Where... Where are we?"

"We are on the Helicarier in the infirmary. We have around 20 minutes until we reach the compound. How are you feeling?"

"Tired and stiff, mostly." He saw his hands covered completely in bandages. Red veins were still visible on the white cover.

"I'm so sorry, Victor... I never wanted to hurt you. I lost control because... Because." Her voice cracked like a broken mirror. She reached out for his hand but stopped herself.

"I am so sorry, Wanda." He felt grief, but it couldn't be compared to losing your twin and only family. His previous spell must have worked, as he was able to slowly take her hand in his own. Wanda returned the touch and took a few breaths of relief.

"After you saved us, we got transported to the Helicarier where S.H.I.E.L.D. tried to fix your arm. They said you nearly got permanent nerve damage, and the skin won't grow back on its own. I don't know what you did, but it saved them from me."

"Wanda, I told you this wasn't your fault. It was an accident." She didn't seem to register his words; she just squeezed his hand a tiny bit more.

"They did everything they could, but once we reach the headquarters, someone else is supposed to treat you."

"Pardon? What headquarters?"

"Steve said Doctor Cho should be able to help you more."

"All things considered, I am in good shape. I will get better."

"You need to see the doctor." Her voice got stronger for a second.

"Seriously, since when are you being so pushy, Wanda?" Victor giggled quietly. "It suits you." She almost smiled, so that's a win.

"There is also another thing. He, I mean Steve, offered us a place in the team."

"Huh... What was your answer?"

"I wanted to wait and see what you thought. I doubt you will want to have someone like me on the team."

"All right, Wanda, you listen to me now." Victor did his best to sound strong. "This was an accident. I know you would never hurt me. You are my friend, well, my only friend, actually, and I am not afraid of you." He slowly raised his hand and placed it on her pale cheek. "You can look into my mind if you'd like."

Wanda's green eyes turned red for a second, and Victor felt her presence inside of him. His mind couldn't help but raise its shields. Wanda patiently waited until he dropped them, and she gently entered his mind. Wanda did not look deeply; she just experienced his current emotions and thoughts. If previously their magics were reaching out to each other, now they seemed ready to chain themselves and never let go. It was difficult to explain, but she, in his mind, felt so right.