Chapter XII - The Prodigal Son

Wakanda, two days after the escape.

Victor Faust POV

"But it doesn't make sense."

"Magic does not need to make sense. Especially if it's working." Victor hides a yawn with his hand. "If I could, I would show you my plants, but sadly, they all stayed in the Compound. I will need to start from scratch with these vials."

"Can I please run tests on them?" Asked Shuri. "While you are still my brother's guests."

"Well, since I owe you... Sure, but you need to be careful with Bob. I'm still working on the waking up part. That, and these samples are all that I have."

"Don't you worry, you are speaking with a professional." She beamed and immediately grabbed the vials. Victor slowly tapped the table. Shuri's lab was probably many tech people's wet dream; however, Victor was so far out of his debt he might as well be looking at a plain wall.

"So, am I good to go?"

"Oh yes!" Shuri turned back to him. "I'm pleased to inform that there are no more traces of drugs in your system. You are good to go."

"Thank God." Victor immediately stood up.

"I almost forgot! Steve Rogers wanted to meet you all in his room after you check up."

"Thank you, Shuri. Seriously, you helped me and Wanda so much." She waved her hand.

"Don't mention it. You let me play with your magical plant, so we are even. Now go, I need to finish while you are in the city." She started to furiously type on the keyboard.

Victor left her laboratory and made his way through the Citadel. His boots clicked on the pristine, clean surface of Wakanda's capital. The corridors seemed to extend endlessly, and the seamless integration of technology with the natural beauty of Wakanda turned the place into an actual maze for Victor. After spending far too much time on navigating the Citadel, Victor finally entered Steve's room. Inside the luxurious place sat everyone who supported Rogers.

"About time." Smirked Sam.

"As if you can walk around here any better chicken wings." Victor settled on the edge of the bed next to Wanda. Their hands immediately intertwined.

"How do you feel?" He asked inside her mind.

"Better, now that you are here."

"All right, now that everyone is here, we need to discuss our future."

"Do we even have a future now?" Asked Sam while putting his first under his chin.

"Not as a fashion models." Murmured Natasha.

"For all intents and purposes, we are wanted fugitives. Secretary Ross made sure to put us on top of his list." Steve took a deep breath. "I can't describe how much it means to me that you all had my back. I know how much you had at stake." He looked at Clint and Scott. "The big question now is what happens next?"

"What happened to Rhodes?" Victor asked quietly.

"Stark helps him. He will be able to walk eventually." Responded Natasha.

The cold feeling that haunted him since the airport lessened.

"Nat and I are not planning on stepping down. After what happened, the world will need protectors more than ever. We just can't let people ruin themselves."

"We will have to operate from the shadows, and I believe some should consider other options." Natasha looked pointedly at Clint, who hide his face in hand and sighed deeply.