Chapter 1

The Slytherin common room is more breathtaking than I could've imagined. Father had talked about its grandeur when he was a Hogwarts student. He described it to me when I was younger as an underwater castle. Well, it is that—the room is located under the lake. It was mostly dark when I first came in, after Professor Weasley escorted me to the dungeons and there wasn't much to see in the low lighting of the lamps. But the morning sun lit up the lake, basking the room through the three floor-to-ceiling windows in a cool sunken atmosphere. What I appreciate besides the royalty style of the interior with the stone and marble architecture and snake decor were the many tapestries and statues depicting mermaids and other aquatic creatures. All this gives me the impression that the Slytherin house associates itself with the water element. I wondered if the other houses associate with an element. I think I recall Hufflepuff being quite the earthy house.

Ever since I was little, I've always loved anything aquatic. Father had gotten me my own aquarium full of small and beautiful fish to stare at all day for my eighth birthday. At one point, I told him I'd like to be a fish—he had a good laugh from it. And now it's like I have the largest aquarium in the world with not only fish, but mermaids, a giant squid, and grindylows.

Before heading out to eat breakfast at the Great Hall, I stopped by the middle window to gaze out into the water's depths. I must have been out gazing for a while before a male voice spoke out. "I know that you're technically a first year at Hogwarts, but I didn't think you'd fall for a first year prank."

I must have immersed myself deeply, as someone behind me slightly startled me. A boy with such fine features and perfectly 'not a hair out of place' combed blonde hair. He wasn't looking right at me, but I could still see his eyes. They are milky white. Is he...blind?

"I'm sorry?" I replied, confused.

"It's that you've been gazing out this window for a long while now and wondered if you were on the lookout for mermaids."

"Oh, do they actually come around here?" I asked in excitement.

He gave an amusing chuckle. "I never heard of a mermaid hanging around at our common room window. Doubt they find us that interesting. And I'm sure they have better things to do than entertain us with their presence. That's a rumor we tell the first years—it keeps them on the lookout for hours."

"I see, well, for your information, I wasn't looking for mermaids. I happen to enjoy the underwater view. Albeit, seeing a mermaid would be a bonus."

"Then you'll probably get along with Nerida Roberts. She's our resident mermaid enthusiast." I gave a big grin at hearing that. The conversation shifted as I ask him if he knew that he'd end up in Slytherin, which he answered as "most certainly." He told me that his whole family got sorted into Slytherin from the fact that they are descendants of Salazar Slytherin himself. I found that extremely fascinating that he came from a line that co-founded the famous school. Although, he assured me that like Salazar Slytherin, his family had a strong belief in blood-purity, and that he was estranged from the family because of it.

I was about to ask him more about it before my stomach vibrated with hunger. I suppose I stayed here long enough, and I should head out for breakfast before classes begin.

"Well, it was nice meeting you...um, sorry, I didn't get your name."

"I'm Ominis. Ominis Gaunt."

"Selene Holloway." As soon as I gave out my name, Ominis' pale brows twitched upwards—like he was surprised—before displaying a small smirk.

"A pleasure, Miss Holloway." The way he put an emphasis on "Hollow" made me give a questioning look, but before I said anything, he continued. "You should quickly head to the Great Hall. The sound I picked up from you is saying not to start the day on an empty stomach."