Chapter 6

After a night's rest with whatever hours I had left, I had recapped on what happened last night. I met, in portrait form, the man in the memories—the one that had used the power of ancient magic. He'll be able to tell me all about the power I possess and how I can gain control of it. And from the fact that there are other empty portraits, I'll eventually meet the other professors that knew of ancient magic. Perhaps they'll tell me more about the girl, Isidora, too.

The biggest surprise that I ended up discovering was that the chamber was located below Hogwarts. It's been down there for so long and no one knew. I still wished that I'd taken the exit route to the chamber instead, though.

A letter from my father came in as I was eating breakfast alone. Seems both Sebastian and Ominis wanted to sleeping in a little. I don't blame Sebastian for oversleeping with how late we went to bed last night. Even I wanted to have a couple more hours of sleep.

I opened up the envelope and read the letter:

Dear Selene,

You'd be surprised that as a kid I was glad to leave home. Your grandparents were rather overbearing and stifling. They'd send letters almost every day for months. But, of course, there were moments that I did miss them despite their nature. Though, they were worse whenever I came home for the holidays and was relieved when I went back to school.

Again, I'm glad that you're safe and happy to hear you're enjoying your time at Hogwarts. I knew you'd be sorted into Slytherin. You got most of your traits from me.

And you won your first duel? With a boy, no less? That filled me with so much pride to hear that, sweetheart. I'm amazed at how far you've gotten so quickly. And has that boy that you've bested behave himself when he escorted you around the village? I know how they think. Any boy would feel an attraction to a strong and beautiful woman that I know you are. And on top of that, you're a new face that they can admire compared to the same faces they've seen for years. I know I've raised you in the comfort of our home and barely exposed you to those your age. But, now I'm feeling like an overprotective father, now that you're in a position that you haven't experienced enough of. I worry that you'd feel overwhelmed with socializing. I hope that's not the case, because, as I said before, you're a strong young woman.

I'll be looking forward to your next letter.

With love,

Your father

Finishing the letter, I sighed deeply. I could only image how my father was feeling now. If I was a single mother raising a child with a lack of social exposure, I'd be worried too. Sending them to live at Hogwarts—a place filled with hundreds of children and teenagers—would be like tossing them into deep waters when they can't swim. I know that not all people would be as nice as the ones I've met so far, and that would make Father worried that I can't hold my own against them. It's understandable. I'd write back to tell him he needn't worry, and that I was doing fine making friends.

The other part, though, he should worry above all else. It had me embarrassed reading the part about Sebastian behaving himself and that other boys would be interested in me. Barely having people my age to talk to was one thing, but interest in boys and them to me was nonexistent. My first time getting a compliment from a boy was Sebastian's rather casual comment about my name—and then my eyes. And I remembered how Leander acted around me in Herbology class. I may not have experience with boys, but I've read plenty of romantic literature in my free time at home to recognize signs of interest. Or perhaps I'm reading it wrong and it's not that at all.

Thinking that it's too early for such things, I pushed it to the back of my mind and put the letter away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~