Chapter 14

It was black. I couldn't see anything. But, I could feel and hear. The first thing I felt were multiple stabs on my body. A painful one came along shortly after that had me clutching the area inflicted with a gasp. My hand was being coated with something warm and wet. There was so much of it. Then, it was as if I got struck by lightning; my body spasming with hot electric shocks coursing inside of me. More sharp stabs punctured my skin as I wriggled on the ground. That's when I heard the blood curling scream echoing through the void. The sound was so raw and tortured I wanted to cover my ears. I felt more of that wetness and warmth, but on my face.

Selene, I heard. Selene.

Who's calling my name?

Selene...wake up...Selene.

Through the torture, I could feel my body shake faintly. Something was shaking me. Strange, the sensation didn't feel as if it's coming from this body. As the seconds went by, it was no longer faint; it was getting stronger. The pain and scream were the ones growing faint now.

"Selene," a voice whispered. I felt my eyes open to a soft glow of light. My eyes were heavy with sleep, and I rubbed on them hard. I then noticed my hand came back wet. Touching my face, I found more wetness. I was crying?

"Selene," that voice called again, along with a hand on my shoulder, shaking me. I moved my body from my side position and laid on my back. Turning my head to the left, I saw Sebastian standing by my bed.

Oh. That's right. We were in the Hospital Wing. Ominis escorted us here after our traumatic adventure in finding Slytherin's scriptorium. Sebastian has indeed found an excuse for our somewhat rough shape. The both of us encountered a bad tempered venomous snake that gave the effects of pain and muscle weakness with a touch of spasms. Nurse Blainey bought that excuse quick and had us drink an Antidote to Common Poisons. While that wouldn't be effective for us, she did include a muscle relaxant and pain reliever potions, just in case the "venom" effects were still lingering. She also had something for my very sore throat, which healed up quickly. She had us stay overnight for observation.

"Are you okay? You were shifting around a lot and crying in your sleep. Nightmare?"

That explains why my face was wet. "Must be," I said. I remembered most of what I dreamt. None of it was pleasant.

He sat down on a short stool that was next to the bed. "If you don't mind telling me, what did you dream about?"

I shifted my body to rest on my other side. "It was more of what I felt and heard than seeing what was going on."

"And what did you feel and hear?"

"Similar to what happened before we opened the door to the room we were trapped in."

He gave a heavy sigh and ran a hand through his ruffled hair in distress. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for our search for the scriptorium to traumatize you to the point of having nightmares about it."

"It's not like you knew we'd be facing something cruel like that."

"I should have, knowing how Ominis' family is, because of his ideals."

"We did give Ominis some closure about his aunt. That's something good to come out of it. And maybe a solution for Anne. It was worth it."

"Yeah, there's that."

"You didn't have any nightmares yourself, right?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Unfortunately, even I wasn't spared."

"What was it of?"

He hesitated. "Of you. When I cast Crucio on you, your suffering, it brought me back to the times I saw Anne at her worst. I couldn't get that image out of my head. It continued haunting me in my sleep. You were constantly suffering from repeated casts that you were starting to resemble how sickly Anne became. You were getting worse than her, though. You were looking all skeletal and pale as a ghost. That curse was killing you, too. The worst part is that I was the one doing it to you. Your suffering would've ended at any time, but I wouldn't stop." The guilt was clear on his face.