Chapter 16

"I'd like to thank you again for finding me a date, Selene," said Nerida as we were seated in Madam Snelling's Tress Emporium, waiting for our turn. Today's the day of the Yule Ball and the place was packed with girls wanting to get their hair done for the special occasion.

"Of course. I did feel bad that I'd be leaving you on your own."

"I would have told you not to worry about it, though. But you're such a good person."

I chuckled. "I have started to see that ever since I came to Hogwarts. Haven't been around many people to make friends with."

"Well, I'm glad you came. I have had little luck making friends, too. I usually keep to myself. And it's nice to find someone with a similar passion for mermaid culture as I am," she said with a smile.

As I was about to respond, Madam Snelling approached us. "Alright, Miss Holloway, there's an available seat for you." I stood up and took a seat in the empty chair. "So, what will it be?"

I mused on the look I'd want for a minute before answering. "Um, something simple, I suppose. I'm more of a braid girl; perhaps you could incorporate that."

"Is that all? The Yule Ball is the special occasion. Surely you wouldn't want to attend with your hair so...ordinary."

O-kay. I can see why Sebastian isn't a fan.

"Well, I don't see myself as someone who wants to look overly flashy. I think having a subtle look would work just as good for an occasion."

She sighed, dejected. "Oh, alright. I'll see what I can do."

For the next hour, my hair was unbraided so it could be washed thoroughly, cut out any split ends, and be styled to my liking. The experience of having my hair getting treated to this extent was something that rarely happens, but I ended up enjoying it.

"So, is this to your taste, Miss Holloway?" Looking in the large mirror in front of me, I was in awe of how lovely my hair looked. I knew she created with half of my hair, a thick and looser braid than how I usually wear it, and left the rest of my wavey hair down, but it made me look different. I wasn't one to experiment with hairstyles, so I either have it in a braid or occasionally left it loose. Now, I think I should.

I gave her a grateful smile. "I love it. Thank you, Madam Snelling."

"Well, while I toned down on the flair, I still had fun playing with it. You have such shiny and luscious waves." She lead me towards the counter to make my payment, and I waited around to wait for Nerida to finish getting her hair done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, that is beautiful," exclaimed Priscilla. "Where did you get that dress, Selene?"

I couldn't very well tell them that I got my dress from a secret room. "From one of the catalogs I was going through."

"It really is gorgeous. You'll have to tell me later which catalog. If they have something like that, I'd want to see what else they have to prepare for next year." The other girls in the dorm agreed.

While all of us were getting ready dressing up for the ball, Nerida said to me, "Are you nervous at all? From what you told me, this is your first ball, and date, no less."

"Mm, a little. I'm not worried so much about my dancing. My father taught me how growing up, just in case. But, I guess I worry how the night will go. I wouldn't want anything to go amiss, or my friendship with Sebastian might end up awkward." I gave a nervous laugh. "Who knows, I might end up forgetting how to dance and I'll keep stepping on his toes."