Chapter 32

Since the meeting with Professor Weasley almost a month and a half ago, Sebastian and I fell into a steady routine. We wake in the morning as usual and get ready for the day of learning. There are days when we'd sleep in the Room to try and chase each other's nightmares away, but the days when he decides to drink the Dreamless Sleep potion, we sleep in our own dorms. Even then, sometimes he'd suggest we sleep in the Room, so he'd be there if I end up with a nightmare since the potion doesn't work on me. There are nights they are more terrifying than normal, and I could never fall asleep again. That was until one night, after one of those nightmares and I didn't want to sleep, Sebastian was comforting me by rubbing my back, and when he also lightly ran his nails across my back, I was instantly calmer and was knocked out. So, that's what he did on nights like that.

After getting ready, we'd eat breakfast with everyone else in the Great Hall, but of course, the difference from beforehand throughout the year is that Ominis doesn't eat with us now. We tend to see him sitting apart from the others in our house. Sebastian would always look over with a longing glance as we ate.

When breakfast finished, we either walk together to class, or we go our separate ways depending on what class we had that day. And as Professor Weasley said, Sebastian was excused from doing any practical work in class and was instead assigned more written class work. And because of this, he continued to leave his wand behind in the Room. I know the other students were curious about this, but Sebastian never said why whenever someone asked, just that it was for personal reasons.

Following the end of the day's classes, we worked on our assignments in the Room for a couple of hours before Sebastian had to leave for his shift at the Three Broomsticks. Most of the time, I would come for a visit when I completely finished my work, and we'd eat dinner together there when he's on his break. I think he'd rather do this than eat in the Great Hall so he wouldn't feel so bad whenever he sees Ominis sitting alone. And when the meal is done, I would either stay for a while, or I'd stick around until his shift is done shortly before curfew. When Sirona was told that Sebastian wasn't allowed to stay after curfew after all, she was disappointed with the lie, but understood, nonetheless.

On the weekends when he was allowed to work longer hours, I ended up waiting for him in the Room since being out after curfew doesn't extend to me. And like the day I came back from my break, he'd show up at near midnight, dead tired. Even with a handful of hours cut back, he's still earning a decent wage, and he'd send half of his earnings every week via owl to Anne. The owl would come back with a single note with the words "Thank you", and nothing else. Still, those notes did give Sebastian hope that Anne would eventually come around to talking to him again.

Not long after the meeting with Professor Weasley, she got in contact with us with an update. The meeting with the head of the Department of Magical Education resulted in Sebastian getting tutored by an experienced wandless magic user in the hopes he would be able to pick it up quick enough before exams. Although, wandless magic is difficult to achieve, and it was only approved if Sebastian was a capable wizard, if not gifted, to achieve it. Professor Weasley vouching for him made this proposal come into effect, so now Sebastian was getting tutored everyday by an African wizard.

So far, he's been able to master a few simple spells, but as expected, as he levels up to the trickier ones, it's been costing him a lot to get it down. As much as I want to believe he could be ready to use wandless magic for the exams in a few months, it's asking too much of him. I had nearly a year's worth of learning all the spells I needed to know, I was using a wand, and there's still a lot I haven't covered.

Now, I'm a bit more concerned about these lessons. Wandless magic from what I heard can be demanding to learn, and I'm seeing the strain it's having on Sebastian. Here we were worried about how much he's been putting on his shoulders working long hours on top of school, but I don't think we solved anything. Now they're the ones adding the load, and I'm afraid he'll break.