Chapter 13

This morning brought in the first snowfall of the season. Naturally, living underground in the dungeons didn't make me aware of it until I left for breakfast with the boys. With the air dropping continuously in temperature as a sign of winter, I had to start bundling up whenever I went outside—especially during Beast, Flying, and, occasionally, Astronomy class. Luckily, the castle has a magical property of adjusting the indoor temperature based on the weather outside. As it's winter, it's nice and warm, and the castle contains the warmth indoors by blocking the cold air whenever the doors that lead outside are opened.

After breakfast, Ominis and I headed out together to attend History of Magic. When I first attended the class, I found it intriguing that a ghost taught the class. I had my father tell me to expect the class to be a drag and even told me it's fine if I fell asleep during the lectures. He never told me of a ghost teacher, though. I did try my hardest to stay awake the first time—the whole month, really. But because the class was as dull as I was told and I was not a morning person, I gave up trying after that. I had wondered how students could pass the class like this.

Once Ominis and I were seated together, along with the rest of the students in their own seats, Professor Binns began the lecture with his annoyingly drawl voice that made me want to cover my ears. And by the sound of his voice, it put Ominis to sleep in a second. I still find it interesting such a thing can happen.

"In today's lesson...we'll be covering a truly thrilling event. The Goblin Rebellion...of 1752...and all of its triumphs...and tragedy." Professor Binns floated through Ominis as he spoke, waking him up because of the ghostly chill even I could feel when he floated right behind me. "But more specifically...we will address the devastating effect it had on the Wizarding milling industry."

Just like Ominis felt, my eyes were already getting heavy. I was blacking out within a minute, and then I blacked out completely not long after.

In the black void, I heard, "Actually...we do know the number. Six hundred and sixty-two." I slowly woke up all groggy and confused. Professor Binns continued drawling on. "But history continues outside the classroom. And look...it's time for my constitutional. Once can practically osmose the history flowing through Hogwarts."

"I think the Professor wants us to follow him," said who I believed in my sleepy state to be Amit.

How long was I out?

I rubbed the drowsiness out of my eyes and heard again from Professor Binns as he was leaving. "And now...a stroll through the Bell Tower Entrance Hall." Everyone, in an orderly fashion, followed Professor Binns out of the room. "Along with the rest of the castle...it was completed in the late Early Middle Ages. The hall and the Bell Towers that loom above it...contain a myriad of interesting artifacts."

By the time we gathered around at the Entrance Hall, Professor Binns instructed us to take notes on the artifacts that we find displayed. While some, like Amit, did as instructed, others, such as Everett, decided to stay put and have a nap leaning against the wall. To my astonishment, Ominis decided to nap lying down on the floor. And here I thought he was an upstanding student. I guess with a professor like ours that, from what I learned, gave no consequence for not paying attention and sleeping during class, one can just do what they want.

Before I went out to check the artifacts only out of curiosity, Professor Binns approached me. "Good to see you again. Recovered from that nasty bout of dragon pox, have you?"

Confused by the unexpected greeting, I stumbled, "I, uh, I'm sorry...but that wasn't me, sir. I was never sick." Even if I really wanted to, so I could skip his class.

"You weren't? Oh...I see. Good for you to still have your health, then."

"Thank you, sir," I said, politely, and even a lit bit unsure.