Chapter 19

So, I'm thinking I should advertise the updates coming in either Fridays or Saturdays because for too many weeks I'm posting this on Saturdays. Every time I think I could be done for Friday, I'm not, so keep an eye for an update for either Friday or Saturday. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  

That damn woman!

I angrily stomped all the way to the Village Square where Officer Singer is known to station. The previous store owner, Cassandra Mason, has fooled me, and a lot of other people, apparently, into purchasing a shop that was home to a poltergeist, just so she could make a profit in buying it back. The nerve of her!

I made a visit to Hogmeade because I needed to restock my school supplies. And when I became short on money that I had to purchase certain potion ingredients at a later date, when Father sends me my weekly allowance, Mr. Pippin was kind enough to pay me a hefty sum to deliver a box of potions for him. After gladly accepting the job, I went ahead to deliver the potions. I have to admit, I could see why he didn't want to do the job himself, when he has to do work connections with an aggravating woman like Miss lawang.

Thinking that I needed to better control my spending habits, or I'd go broke again, I bumped into an elf sweeping in front of a boarded-up building. She immediately went to ask me if I'd like to have a shop where she'd be the one to help me with. I thought it was strange she'd ask me of all people, considering I'm only a fifteen-year-old student. What kind of business would I even have, anyway? Still, I suppose if I had a shop where the house-elf, Penny, says that she could sell anything, and I won't have to do much, I thought I could invest in it with my newly earned money. And this way, I could have a steady income, with a bonus of helping my father sell some of his stock to new clientele if he's willing to send some over.

So, I bought the shop, and that's when the nightmare began. I swear, after all that, I won't sleep for a week.

When I found Officer Singer, I headed straight towards her.

"Officer Singer! I have to report something to you," I said urgently.

She was surprised at my sudden appearance but was quickly alert to what I had to say. "Oh, is that so? What do you need to report?"

"There's this woman named Cassandra Mason who sold me her shop with a haunted dungeon in order to scare me off." I quickly realized how odd that sounded, even when we're in the magical world. I'm sure something like this doesn't come up often.

She looked quite baffled. "I—Cassandra Mason sold you her shop?" Or maybe it's common enough that a haunted dungeon isn't what she's concerned about.

"I'm sorry, but, perhaps you missed me saying about a haunted dungeon in the shop."

"Oh, no I-I heard that part."

"And according to the house-elf that came with the shop, she's done this sort of thing before. Multiple times," I added.

"Hmm. Yes, I was wondering what was going on. She seems to be having a difficult time with tenants lasting more than a few days in that shop. Still, this is a serious accusation you're making, young lady. I think we should go and speak with Cassandra to clear all this up."

Confronting Mrs. Mason turned out to be a disaster when out of nowhere, she attacked Officer Singer, and I was left to stop her. She was an aggressive fighter, but I have been practicing more on my dueling during Cross Wands and with Sebastian in the Undercroft during our free time. I was able to take her down and Officer Singer had her give me the deed to the shop before she was taken away.

I sighed tiredly. Didn't think owning a shop was already this much work.

Penny was outside the shop waiting for me and looked relieved to see me again. "Oh, young miss, you've returned."