Chapter 12

A pair of flapping wings distracted me from my homework I was currently doing on the second floor of the library. Suddenly, clawed feet landed on the table where I was doing my work. Looking up in surprise, an owl stood right in front of me with a letter in its beak. Seems that Father wanted to send a letter to ask how everything at Hogwarts is going. Letters like those has gotten me all anxious since I have yet to tell him exactly what was going on at school. If he knew about my rare magic and that it has pulled me in the middle of a centuries old secret and a goblin rebellion, he might—without a second thought—pull me out, not just from Hogwarts, but the Wizarding world. Which is why I withhold telling him anything of the sort, even when I feel bad for—in a way—lying to him.

I reluctantly took the letter from the owl, and it flew away once its job was done. I let out a sigh before opening the envelope and pulled out the letter. Once I unfolded it, I quickly realized that this letter wasn't from my father.

Hello Selene,

I thought about writing to you personally instead of having Sebastian pass on the message for me. By the way, you're welcome for the thanks on letting you have the swimsuit. To be honest, it didn't feel right on me, but I knew it would be perfect on you. Anyway, I wanted to let you know if Sebastian has yet to tell you; our 16th birthday is coming up on the 18th of November, and we'd be happy to have you come over to Feldcroft to celebrate. It'll feel like a big party now that the list of attendees will be up by one if you decide to come. And if you were wondering, we usually go semiformal. I hope to see you there in two weeks.

Anne

Anne. Sebastian's sister wrote to me to invite me over to celebrate their birthday. It came as a surprise that it's coming within a fortnight and Sebastian hasn't mentioned it once. Whatever the reason he hasn't mentioned it, I'll have to let him know about Anne's letter, unless she sent him one too to let him know what she planned. And since the special occasion is coming up, I have to send my father a letter later today to put in a request.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, Anne sent me a letter today," I mentioned to Sebastian as we continued tending to our gillyweed we were growing in Herbology class. This marine plant has to be a favorite of mine so far because of its effects.

"Oh, she did?" he questioned. "What did she say? Or is private between you girls?" He winked in my direction.

"It's nothing so secretive, I assure you," I said as I added a special plant food in the salty water within the glass pot. "She just wanted to extend an invitation to celebrate your shared birthday at your uncle's."

"Already? That's only in two weeks. I told you she's taken with you if she's inviting you this early."

"Actually, it's good that she told me now. Gives me plenty of time to prepare."

He rose an eyebrow. "Prepare? Why do you need two weeks to prepare, it's only a small get together."

"Trust me, two weeks is beneficial for me."

He shrugged. "If you say so."

When the last hour of class came around, Professor Garlick called out to gain our attention. "Alright, students, it's the last hour for us, and so I want to announce that at this stage of class you and a partner will be tending to a specific flora. Each group will be in charge with a different plant and every week you'll rotate to the next to keep your minds fresh on specific plant care. I'll be choosing your partners, so listen closely." She paired several students and told them which plants to tend, then they went to the greenhouses where they're kept. "Mr. Sallow, you'll be paired with Miss Oni. You two will be tending to the bouncing bulbs. Do be careful they don't hit you in the face if they get loose."