Chapter 21

"Oh, thank goodness you were able to come," said Poppy when I arrived in a small clearing in the Forbidden Forest. "Truthfully, I didn't feel so confident talking to the centaurs alone."

The last time I saw Poppy two days ago, she was in a state of panic after we returned the dragon egg and needed to send an owl to someone. She told me before she left in haste that she'll let me in on what was going on as soon as she got some news. This morning, before attending Transfiguration class, she sent an owl to her gran. The poachers that we stole the egg from went to her place because they recognized her in Horntail Hall and assumed she took the egg there. And while they ransacked her home, the poachers found a lead to a safe haven for the supposed extinct golden snidget. Which is why she thought we could partner up with the centaurs to help protect them.

"Well, this is very important. Is this where we'll be meeting them, then?"

"Uh, well, they don't exactly know we're here," Poppy said nervously. "So, this will be a sort of surprise."

Now I was feeling nervous about this. "After getting lucky with our last centaur encounter, I'm not so sure of leaving this meeting unscathed."

"I know, but we have to try and convince them that we want to protect the snidgets with their help, or they really will become extinct. Maybe they can see that we're being sincere. They do have this aura about them that makes them seem all knowing."

I nodded in agreement. "I have heard of them being very wise. We'll just have to be completely truthful with them and they have to realize it."

"Yes, I'm sure it'll all be fi—" Poppy was cut off by a loud stampede of galloping hooves coming towards us. Emerging from the trees, a herd of centaurs with bows and arrows circled us. The way they were surrounding us frightened me enough that, on instinct, my hand was reaching for my wand. Poppy caught on to what I was doing and stopped me from pulling it out in defense.

When the centaurs ceased in running circles around us, an intimidating centaur with a scar running through his eye broke through the circle. He might be the leader.

"What do you think you're doing here, humans?"

"Please, we only ask to speak with you," Poppy answered desperately.

"Oh, so I figured you'd like a tale to tell your friends about the time you spoke to a centaur, and it spoke back," he mocked.

"No! We never! We came here to ask for your help."

"Enough! You made a great error in judgement in coming here, little witch." The centaurs pointed their weapons at us, readying to fire. My heart was pounding at what was about to happen. I wasn't going to be able to pull out my wand fast enough to cast a shield.

The leader was about to signal for them to shoot before a voice interrupted.

"Leave them be, Elek. We do not harm the young. It is not our way." A kinder looking centaur came through.

The leader, Elek, glared at the newcomer. "You forget your place, old fool. I am the leader of this herd, and while you're clinging to 'our ways', their kind continues to slaughter beasts like us without a care."

"But from what I can see, they've slaughtered no one. They will leave here unharmed."

"Hmph. Mark my words, Dorran. If they ever show their faces again, it'll be all three of your heads." He stomped away with the rest of the herd following him back into the trees. The new centaur, Dorran, turned to us all serious.

"You foolish children. Do you have any idea what happens when wizards wander here? Now, follow me before—"

"The golden snidgets are still alive and are in great danger from the poachers," Poppy blurted out. Dorran stopped in his tracks, and Poppy continued. "They know that the key to finding them lies in the moonlight, but they don't know what that means—yet. Please, help us find the snidgets before the poachers do!"