Chapter 28

The first week of being home was uneventful, but at the same time strange. Being back home, seeing the normality, almost felt like nothing had happened. All that I've gone through throughout the year was like it happened in another world. It's not so far-fetched to think about it. Here is the world I've lived in most of my life like a muggle. And far away from here, I've entered into the world of magic. A complete difference. I thought of magic as people living easier than the muggles—but magic in this world just made living more dangerous. If I continued my life as a squib, I never would have to face anything like I did. I almost wish I really was a squib.

As Father said, schoolwork was sent over to my house, but so far, I didn't have the motivation to do anything. Like I thought, with everything settling down, my head decided to have me process everything with nightmares every night. I kept seeing Lodgok's death by his own brother, Rookwood sneering at me as he was about to kill me, hundreds of inferi, a fire tornado, Fig's death, and gigantic metal dragons. Sometimes, I would even have nightmares of being inside the walls of Hogwarts going through a labyrinth, being crucioed multiple times there. That would trigger the night of my attack years ago. I never have the luxury of forgetting my dreams when I wake up—I always remember. They spin in my head all day. I couldn't get out of bed for hours because of them. My room was my safe place—under the covers, my fortress. Nothing could get me. Father worried greatly about me. Sometimes I wake him up during the night, and he'd stay in bed with me until I went back to sleep.

When I had to get up to do my schoolwork, I couldn't put enough effort into it. Mostly because doing them reminded me a lot of Professor Fig teaching me the basics of spellcasting over the summer before I started Hogwarts. It was such a life changer for me when he arrived at my door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A knock came from the door, and Father asked me to get it. When I opened the front door, I was greeted by an elderly man with a kind face. His outfit seemed out of place though. I've never seen someone wearing clothes like his around here that held a wonder about it. Could he perhaps be...

"Ah, you must be the young Miss Holloway," he said.

"Uh, yes," I said nervously.

He smiled. "Oh, splendid. I'm here to have a word with you, if you'll allow me into your home, of course."

"Oh...sure, come in, please." I stepped aside to let him through. After closing the door, I continued wondering about this man. "I have to ask; do you know my father if you know who I am?"

"Mh? Oh yes, a long time ago. He was one of my students when he was a lad."

That came as a surprise to me. "You were?" So, that means...

Footsteps were heard coming down the stairs. When father came down and saw our guest, he was taken aback for a moment.

"Professor Fig, is that you?" he asked with eyes still wide.

"Vincent, it's been years since I last saw you. How are you?"

"Shocked, to see you in my home out of the blue. To what do I owe this visit?"

He glanced at me. "Your daughter." He then asked if we could sit down so he could tell us some important news he had. Father led him to the living room while I went to the kitchen to prepare tea. When that was done, I laid the tray on the coffee table and sat down next to Father with our guest sitting across from us.

"Well, firstly, I'd like to introduce myself to you, Miss Holloway. My name is Eleazar Fig, and I'm a professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."