The Protector

Rose's pov.

I was sitting in my favourite diner. Cutting the steak with due diligence. It tastes better when it's cut perfectly. Trust me.

My companions surprised eyes stay fixated on me.

" What?"

I groan and he only chuckles. Shaking his head in a no.

" Nothing. "

" No. Say it. I want to know what you are thinking. "

I raise my brow at him, looking up from my plate and he leans back to speak.

" You cut your food as immaculately as you cut your targets. "

I scoff. Of course. Everything should be perfect or the fun and the taste is lost.

" Maybe you are forgetting who taught me to be this immaculate in the first place."

He chuckles. His blue eyes light up and I place the perfect cut piece into my mouth. Devouring its taste.

Steak and Red Vine.

Perfect for a Sunday.

We continue to eat in silence when he brings up the very reason as to why he called me here.

" I heard about your latest assignment. Are you sure you can do it?"

I nod. Sipping the wine.

" I will handle it. Don't worry. "

" Victor Kingston is not a man to be taken lightly,Rose. He is the most dangerous man I have ever encountered in life. If he doubts you even one bit, he will root a bullet into your head within seconds. "

" He kills first and asks for your crime later."

Hearing his name made my food taste bitter. Here goes my Sunday. Placing down the fork. I sigh.

" I know what I am doing Lucas. Don't worry. "

" Victor won't even know what hit him. By the time I am done with him. "

He finishes his food to nod. Calling for the waiter.

" I trust you, Rose. Don't let me down. "

" Have I ever?"

I ask raising a brow and he smiles. Nodding.

" Never. You are the best of the best. The most trusted assassin I have who I can trust with my closed eyes. "

My smile vanishes in thin air and I avoid meeting his eyes. Old memories come rushing in.

" If you hadn't saved me that night. I would not even be alive. Let alone living a life like this. "

" Everything I am right now is because of you Lucas. "

The smile from his lips drops and he sighs.

" I was just doing my duty Rose, you don't have to thank me every time. "

" Protecting a murderer-"

" It was not it. It was self defence. Don't you dare call yourself that again. Do you hear me?"

He reprimands me, those blue eyes turn livid. And next I know he leans forward to cup my right cheek in his palm and warmth rushes to my cheeks.

He rubs his thumb back and forth on my burning cheek. Looking into my eyes.

" You are the most brave, beautiful and pure hearted woman that I have ever met in my life,Rose. "

" You are a hero for millions of women out there. "