Chapter 20

How can someone like him become a murderer or even a serial killer of an entire city? Now that he sits in front of me, all I can think about is how much he must have suffered and the horrible things he must have witnessed in his mission.

"If you want to tell me something about yourself, go ahead, take your time," I said in a low and calm tone, wanting him to trust me. "What can you tell me about your mission in that forest? What did you see? You know that no one here will ever harm you, you're safe here."

His dull eyes and dry face indicate that he must have suffered from hunger in that prison. However, his expression changed for a moment, as if he was remembering something.

I thought Roy had remembered something, but it turned out to be nothing. His gaze returned to a vacant stare, and an infinite silence fell upon us.

Between one sigh and another, I talked with Roy's wife and kept looking at their little daughter, who was born 8 months ago.

She resembles her mother a lot, her eyes and face being an exact copy of her mother's. And for such a baby, she is quite lively.

More hours passed, and Roy remained motionless in his chair, not uttering a single word. I was about to leave when we heard a knock at the door. I went to open it, and I couldn't believe my eyes.

"I know what you're about to say, but don't worry, I'm here as a bodyguard, and of course, if you need protection, I'll be there for you," he said smiling and winking. Poor Race, I almost feel sorry for him.

"So, did he say anything?"

Before he could say anything else, I grabbed him by the arm and forcefully pulled him outside. Then I looked at him with a questioning expression and asked, "Tell me something, how did you know I was here?" His expression changed instantly as if he didn't know what to say or how to explain.

"Well, you know, he was just released, and he needs to be monitored... I mean," he said quickly, then added, "Listen, there's something I should tell you, but you mustn't panic. This mission is crucial to me." His tone was serious now, as well as his gaze.

"The police chief asked for me, he asked me to be a spy for him, if you can call it that. Moreover, all I have to do is report on his enemies and what's happening in the city. I'm here because he sent me to Roy. He wants to know what happened in that forest." He paused to catch his breath and then continued, "I heard that Roy went crazy and killed his companions. When he returned to the camp, he was covered in blood from head to toe, and the ammunition was depleted. In a police report, I read that Roy kept repeating a phrase: 'Black eyes like hell, and the dead have returned.' He repeated it endlessly, so they thought he had a mental illness..."

"But then why the hell did they lock him up in prison?" I said angrily and loudly.

"I don't know, Chloe. I know for sure it doesn't make sense, but now he's out of prison and away from the city. Here, he can recover." Race said with a sad tone.

"It won't be easy to recover," I said in one breath. "Look at him, Race. He's not the same anymore. His daughter is growing up without a father, or rather, he seems like a vegetable and hasn't uttered a word since he came back home." I was almost on the verge of tears, feeling them welling up in my eyes, but before I could add anything else, Race hugged me tightly. I didn't expect it and couldn't avoid it.

I pushed him away almost immediately. I didn't want to hurt him, but I didn't feel anything in that embrace, so I said, "Thank you for the comfort you want to give me, but it's not what I wanted right now. Besides, you know that I don't share your feelings, I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, Chloe. Mine was a comfort from a friend. I would never harm you, and you know that if I could do something for this man, I would. I would give him back all the months he spent in that prison, but I'm not a healer. However, I can help him now to be well for his wife and daughter." He said, putting his hands on my shoulders and looking into my eyes. I had no option but to trust him on his word. I trust Race, but not the police chief.

"Who is this police chief? What does he look like?" I asked, curious. In the meantime, we started walking back towards the house.

"Well, if you want to know, I had never seen this man before. He has a very shadowy and gloomy presence, I don't know how to explain it, but I didn't feel comfortable at all in the same room with him. What was his name... he had a very strange name..."

Before entering the house, Race added, "Ah, yes, Revon. That's right, that was his name, Revon." Suddenly, everything stopped, everything seemed to revolve around me. My head felt empty, my heart momentarily stopped beating, and I had to take a deep breath as if I were lacking oxygen in my lungs. I felt trembling all over my body, and I became scared and helpless.

Now my eyes are filled with tears, and staggering, I took a step back until I fell to the ground, fainting.

"Chloe, don't be afraid, I'm here with you. We'll fight him and kill him once and for all, and then your city will be free from darkness," Reya said. "Let me in, Chloe. Let us join forces, and you will see that we will defeat evil."

Her voice was so confident that I felt brave as well, even for a moment. But then, when I think about the past, about what Reya has been through because of this man, I feel like closing myself off and becoming small, hoping that he can never find me.

"I don't want to disappoint you, Reya, and neither Vor. But I'm just a human without powers and courage," I said in a sad and apologetic voice, looking down.

"You've always been stubborn and determined in your life. You've always wanted to do what you believed was right, and always followed the truth, even when it was inconvenient. You knew how to bounce back," she said, placing her hand on my shoulder.

At this moment, it was just me and her. I saw her in the dream as we always have; this is where we first met. It's such a beautiful forest, so green, with a clear blue sky and a nearby lake and stream. The sight of this scenery was breathtaking.

This is where I encountered the first hunter, where she and Argentea have always met and spent much of their time together, and where Reya waited for her friend's return, which never happened.

"Have faith in me, in us. This time, darkness won't prevail over light," she said, smiling and gradually fading away.

When I opened my eyes again, I witnessed a rather incredulous and confusing scene. Vor was in front of me, weapons in hand, Race was on the opposite side, surrendering and kneeling, and Roy was by the door, looking at Vor as if he knew him.

What did I miss while I was unconscious?