Chapter 23

We are holed up in the Vor clan's spaceship for hours now, trying to figure out how to attack that damn Revon. With us, of course, is Race; Vor seems to hate him, but I think he's just jealous. Meanwhile, Race doesn't even pay attention to the Yuatjia hunter by his side; instead, he looks around with an interested and amazed expression. In every direction he looks, he has the look of a happy child on Christmas day. Can't blame him.

There's all kinds of technology here that would be useful to the human race, but obviously, they don't want to share it with us, and they're right. The human race isn't ready for all this; they wouldn't know where to begin, whether to colonize other planets or destroy planet Earth itself.

The corridors here seem infinite, the hanging skulls are quite unsettling, and their weapons are far stronger and cooler to look at and hold.

Vor's brothers weren't very keen on Race joining us, but I tried to make them understand that every help is indispensable for this battle.

"What I'm asking is that if you want to be of help, you'll have to abide by my rules," I declared loudly with a fierce gaze. None of his brothers seemed to grasp the importance of this battle, of the common enemy we now faced.

"Why does everything have to be a hunt for you?" I exclaimed in frustration. "If Revon ever gets hold of you, he won't wait to control you, damn it!" I cursed.

"Death doesn't scare us; if we must die with honor and courage..." their leader began, speaking with a confident and proud tone.

"You wouldn't lead your children, your clan, only to death, Elder," I said in a low voice, pausing to find the right words to make him understand the situation. I looked him straight in the eyes and continued, "Revon doesn't collect trophies or corpses. That soulless man can't wait to torture and exploit your kind to kill more innocent people. And if he could, he'd go to your home planet and do the same with your offspring and women. He would have no mercy seeing you slaughter each other, devour each other, or even eat your CHILDREN!" I said all of this in one breath and now needed to resume breathing; I felt an explosive energy within me that could erupt at any moment.

"I am a SENTINEL OF LIGHT AND A GUARDIAN OF FIRE. I will have vengeance, or rather, we will prevail," I said, turning my gaze to Vor. He had listened and supported me in all of this; he knew how important it was for me, for Reya.

"What are you proposing, female?" their leader said with a threatening tone, approaching us, and puffing up his chest.

"There's no use acting tough with me! I won't tolerate your eagerness to hunt an enemy you don't even know," I said confidently, getting closer to him.

"If you want trophies or to hunt someone, do it, but not here. I don't want to risk one of you making mistakes and bringing darkness with us. I've already lost a battle once, but I was alone and unprepared. This time will be different. No one will approach Vor!" I said the last words in a low tone, teeth clenched, staring straight into their leader's eyes.

"How do you plan to win this battle?" Race asked from the chair where he was sitting. "I could go to him and set a trap, or bring to light what he did to Roy."

"He doesn't care who stands before him. He doesn't care about your suffering or how he appears to humans. If he could, he would reveal himself for what he is: a soulless monster with no mercy for others' lives," I said before continuing. I moved away from the leader and leaned on the table, saying, "He will come to us, and I already have an idea of what to do. You stay here; I have work to do." I raised my gaze and looked at Vor for a few seconds before heading outside the spaceship; a trap for Revon was in my mind, and I knew how to execute it.