Chapter 13

I didn't have a choice. That's all I could think as I followed Becky to the cafeteria. All eyes were on us, and I'm pretty sure they've already heard the news that I'm Becky's new right-hand and that she had successfully recruited me.

From a distance, I spotted Billy at a table, and I quickly averted my gaze. I was embarrassed. I couldn't face him in this situation. He was, after all, one of the reasons I couldn't say no to Becky.

"What would you like to eat?" Becky asked me.

I shared my usual order, and she placed it with the cafeteria staff. While it was a self-service cafeteria, someone was taking care of Becky's order. That was probably one of the perks of being an Armstrong.

"I'll let you do your own thing for now since the head requested your assistance," Becky said as she gently cracked her knuckles. "And, I'm sorry about yesterday."

"You're not," I replied.

"Don't make things difficult for both of us, Freen. I'm trying to be civil here," she said, looking at me with an almost blank expression.

As much as I wanted to grab a fork and use it on her, I couldn't move my body. I couldn't bring harm to anyone.

"What do you want from me? Pretend to be nice?" I asked with a sigh. "Stop pushing me to do things I can't."

"This is just temporary, Freen," Becky reassured me. She stretched her arms as our food arrived. "Once Friend returns, she'll take your place."

"So, you won't bother me after that?" I inquired.

Becky nodded. "I won't. So hang in there. I won't make things difficult for you either."

I found some hope in her words. Although I had no idea who Friend was, I'd eagerly await her return. I couldn't wait to escape from Becky's clutches.

Amanda and Nam entered the cafeteria. Their reactions couldn't have been more different. Amanda looked furious, while Nam was smiling at us and even gave me a thumbs-up.

"What's going on?" Amanda asked, slapping Nam's hand.

"Congratulating Freen because she's still alive," Nam replied, rolling her eyes.

They both took seats at our table, and I realized these seats were reserved for them. I had usually sat there because no one else did.

"You should consider yourself lucky, Freen. Irin is away, and that's her seat you're in," Amanda noted with an eye roll.

"Shut up," Becky told her and gestured for me to start eating.

I decided to focus on my food, but then another group of people walked in. One girl was wearing a crown and looked familiar. I had met her when I first arrived here, but then she disappeared. She was with someone, probably her girlfriend given the way they were holding hands.

"Freen?" the girl with the crown asked. "It's me, Charlotte. You do remember me, don't you?" She smiled at me.

That's right; her name was Charlotte. She was as pretty as ever.

"By the way, this is Engfa, my girlfriend. She's also one of the leaders," Charlotte introduced her, and Engfa extended her hand to me.

Before I could shake it, Becky glared at her, and Engfa smiled at me instead. Nam chuckled at the sight, but then cleared her throat and focused on her food.

"I thought there were ten of you?" I asked Becky.

Becky turned to Nam, and Nam cleared her throat and wiped her lips.

"Yes, there are ten, including the Peony President, Becky. Then you, the Carnation Carnage. Next is the Daisy Dancer, Irin, who's currently out of town. Amanda, the Tulip Techie. Me, the Lily Linguist. Next is the Sunflower Scientist, Mind; she's always in the lab. Then the Violet Visionary, Charlotte, and her girlfriend, the Orchid Organizer, Engfa. Also, Billy, the Iris Instructor, and finally, Nut Danjesda, the Azalea Ambassador," Nam explained, sharing all the names I wasn't familiar with. She didn't make it any easier for me.

"Wait, did you say Danjesda?" I asked.

"Sounds familiar?" Nam chuckled. "He's the heir of the Danjesda estate. He's part of this institution because he was Becky's—"

"Shut up, Nam. That's enough. Just eat your food," Becky interjected and held my jaw. "Next time, don't talk to her; ask me."

"Hey, she asked you, and you passed the question to me!" Nam protested.

"Did I tell you to answer her questions?" Becky retorted.

"No," Nam replied, lowering her head.

I couldn't help but chuckle at their interaction. Becky was indeed still herself.

"Anyway, what were you and Billy up to last time? I saw you two being quite close," Charlotte brought up the topic, causing me to cough.

"Close?" I asked, chuckling. "It wasn't exactly what you think."

"Oh, my apologies. Engfa used to do that to me when she was tired, so I thought you two were the same," Charlotte apologized and returned to her meal.

"What do you mean, Charlotte?" Becky inquired and then turned to me. "What were you doing with Billy?"

"Nothing much. He just rested his head on my lap for a while. We were both exhausted," I replied.

"He didn't even consider that he's a professor, did he? He really doesn't know his boundaries," Becky commented as she signaled the server to clear her empty tray.

"Don't mind him, Bec." I reached for Becky's hand. "Please?"

She rolled her eyes and slowly nodded. Becky held my hand too and gently squeezed it.

When I looked around, the other girls at the table had surprised expressions on their faces.

"How can you do that, Freen?" Nam asked, looking at our joined hands.

What?