Chapter 20

Charlotte looked as Becky and I exited the restroom. She handed a document to Becky and whispered something that made Becky nod. Curiosity got the best of me, but Becky hid the document from view.

"Got more work to do?" I asked.

Becky shook her head, and I turned to Charlotte, who averted her gaze.

"Come with me," Becky said and led me out of the office.

She took me to the rooftop, where we enjoyed the fresh air. The weather was pleasant, and I clung to the railings, relishing the breeze. However, Becky wrapped her arms around my waist and buried her face in my back, sighing repeatedly.

"I'm leaving in a while," Becky whispered. "The head wants me to return to District 1. I need to talk to my father. It's been five years since I last saw them, and now's the time to face them again."

"Is there any danger?" I asked, concerned.

"No," she replied.

I turned to face her, and her demeanor had shifted. She looked vulnerable, as if she were incapable of any wrongdoing.

"When will you be back? I'll handle things here for you," I assured her, and she nodded.

"I'm not sure. Maybe a month? Half a year? It depends, Freen," she said, gazing upwards and sighing again.

"I'll wait for you," I said with a smile, caressing her cheeks. "We'll manage here. Don't worry too much."

"It's not the school that worries me. It's you," she said, taking me by surprise. "I want you to act like me when I'm not around so no one can hurt you. Can you do that?"

"O-Of course," I replied, even though I wasn't entirely sure. I didn't know if I could muster the same toughness without Becky to support me.

I didn't want to rely on her, but the truth was, I was still weak. I couldn't do the things she could. She didn't feel pain; she was immune to almost everything. I wasn't. But, to ease her worries, I would try my best.

"I have to go now. I'll inform the head that you're in charge while I'm gone. You have the power, Freen. Don't be afraid, okay?" Becky smiled and patted my shoulder. "Stay here. Don't see me off; I might change my mind if I see you before I leave."

Becky left me on the rooftop with mixed emotions. She hadn't told me what was happening in District 1 or why she had to go. In this institution, she was the boss, but in District 1, it was a patriarchal society where women had no power. I worried about her.

"So, Becky's gone now, huh?" I jumped when Nam suddenly spoke up. She chuckled at my reaction and stood beside me. "The purge is about to start. Brace yourself, Freen. Without Becky, we're vulnerable. The Flower Manor doesn't have as much power. They know our strengths. They know that only Becky can kill effortlessly. We're smart, but not skilled."

"I've got your back, Nam," I assured her, turning to smile at her. "Becky entrusted me. It's either I kill or be killed. So be it."

"The head's going to release Billy from confinement tomorrow. It was Becky's idea, but now that she's gone, her words won't carry the same weight. What's your plan?" Nam asked, tilting her head.

"For now, I'll do nothing. As long as he doesn't harm anyone, I won't take action," I replied, sighing.

I excused myself and went to my room to organize my belongings. Becky's scent lingered in the room, a reminder that she had been there just hours ago. Now, I had to endure this challenging situation without her.

Before, I had been content if she ignored me, but now, I couldn't move forward without her by my side.

"I can do this," I reassured myself. I organized my things and kept Becky's belongings in one corner, preparing for my new persona tomorrow—a vulnerable girl.

I wanted them to underestimate me, thinking they could push me around. Let's see what I can do.

a/n: Short update because I'm sulking. - ryleonirique