Chapter 30

I glanced at Becky. Her expression was deadly serious, but I hesitated to take the initiative.

"Bec," Friend swung the restroom door open, prompting both Becky and me to look her way. Friend surveyed us with furrowed brows. "What are you two up to?"

"None of your business," Becky retorted, about to close the door when Friend barged into the bathroom.

Unfazed, Friend seized my hand and began pulling me out, but Becky held onto my other hand, resisting.

"Let go," Becky demanded, glaring at Friend, who ignored her and forcibly pulled me out, leaving Becky behind.

"Why did you do that?" I questioned.

"Becky doesn't deserve you, Freen. You don't know her, and I'm just concerned," Friend explained, still dragging me until we were outside the building.

"Wait," I said, removing her hands and halting. "I know what I'm doing."

"Really?" she scoffed. "Do you know her? Do you know what she did years ago?"

"She killed people, I'm aware of all that," I retorted.

"That's it? You don't know her full history about her carnage?" Friend huffed, putting her hands in her pockets and averting her gaze.

"She killed them too. I know." I sighed. "Becky loves me," I insisted, ready to re-enter the building when Friend dropped a bombshell that left me stunned.

"She told me she loved me too."

I turned around, staring at her. "What?"

"When I was her carnage, she told me she loved me too," Friend repeated. "Becky doesn't mean it. When she says she loves you, it means she's willing to keep you alive, not in the way you think. She'll help you escape this institution, and afterward, she'll find another woman to satisfy her. She'll dispose of you in a nice way."

"I don't know if you're saying this out of jealousy, Friend. Thank you, but I don't need your concern," I clarified.

Friend smiled bitterly, stepping forward. "You're too innocent for this, Freen. Why do you think I have to return to this hellish institution after supposedly winning?"

"I don't care."

"For you to get out," Friend answered her own question. "If one day you find my lifeless body somewhere, don't turn a blind eye. I've warned you." She sadly looked at me, patting my shoulder. "If you don't want to believe me, I won't force you. Take care of yourself."

"Wait," I stopped her. "Take care of yourself too. I'm sorry, but I'll trust Becky this time."

Friend nodded, smiling before walking away. I entered the building with a heavy heart. Now, I knew Friend and Becky were a thing before I came into her life. Perhaps, I was special in some way because of what my father did. I hoped I was special, and she wouldn't treat me as she did Friend. Deep down, I knew I was falling for her, despite the warnings. I couldn't help but fall deeper.

"What did she say?" Becky asked when I returned to the restroom. She was back in her usual spot.

"Nothing," I lied. "She told me to take care of myself, and that's all."

"You're not good at lying, you know?" Becky said, lighting another cigarette.

I gazed at her enigmatic aura. I wanted to believe her. If I was wrong, I'd accept my fate. I wouldn't doubt Becky anymore. I'd let time reveal the truth and, for now, enjoy her company.

"Becky..." I called as I clenched my fists.

"Hm?" She raised her brows, exhaling smoke. "What?"

"What are we, exactly?" I asked.

Becky chuckled and sighed, looking at the ceiling. "I'm happy with you. Is that answer enough?"

I knew it wasn't. It wasn't clear.

"If I choose to believe you over anyone else, can I ensure your loyalty?" I asked, a dangerous question, but I needed an answer.

"It's your choice to believe whatever you want, Freen. You're not my responsibility," Becky said, jumping off the sink and walking near me. She placed the cigarette in my mouth and smirked.

"I don't smoke."

"You will," she said, waiting.

I didn't know how she could do this, make me her puppet. I puffed the cigarette, and she took it from my mouth, kissing me. She pulled me closer, deepening the kiss, allowing the smoke to transfer, unfazed.

"Bec..." I pulled away. "Why?" I asked, tears welling up. "Why are you making me do this?"

"I'm testing you," she answered. "If you can do anything for me, I'll give you my loyalty."