Last Chapter

"Go back now, Freen!" My father pushed me outside the torture area as the guards watched us, leaving Becky behind with her father.

"No! I won't leave! Where are the other leaders? If they found out, their families would help—" I received a violent slap from my father before I could finish my sentence.

"Your friends? When we told them that Becky was accused and she was in the asylum, they immediately called a bus and went back to the institution! Who are you calling friends?" Dad yelled at me. "I didn't hide here for more than ten years for you to die at the hands of the Armstrongs. I didn't sacrifice too much for nothing!" Another slap landed.

"Friend won't go home. If you can't help me, she will!" I shouted back at him.

Dad grabbed my chin and looked at me with furious eyes. He was so mad right now. She wanted me out of the asylum to save myself. But how could I leave if my only savior was trapped inside?

"If you don't go back right now, I'll be the one to kill you." My father huffed and removed his hands from me. "I don't own my life, Freen. And neither do you. So, while you have the chance, run away from here. Start anew. Forget that Becky was once your friend."

"She's my lover," I corrected him. "And I won't leave until I get her out of here!"

I went inside the torture area, although my father tried to hold me in place. After entering, I saw Becky lying on the ground. She had lost too much blood. I didn't know what she went through, but seeing her tied hands and feet, laying on the ground fighting for her life, my tears flowed immediately. What had they done? Why were they so cruel? Was it because she was a girl, and they didn't want to stain the legacy? They could just disown her.

"I was wrong to raise you," Mr. Armstrong said and pulled Becky's hair. Her face was covered with blood. "I raised a lion in the city. I should've abandoned you in the forest while I had the chance. But it's fine; it's better this way so you wouldn't act stronger than I am."

"Stop it!" I shouted. The guards held me in place before I could attack Mr. Armstrong. They were so strong, and I couldn't move a bit.

"What are you shouting, idiot?" Mr. Armstrong laughed and looked at me. "Is this your daughter?" he asked my father.

Dad only nodded and looked at me with tired eyes. He must be regretting that he let me see Becky here. He thought that I would follow him once I found out he was alive.

No, he decided to hide because he was a coward, and I was not. If Becky died today, I would too. I wouldn't let her suffer alone. She needed me. My girl needed me right now.

I looked at Becky, and she tried to smile while her eyes were streaming down tears. She shook her head and gestured for me to go. She must be accepting her fate. But I wouldn't. I was sure that someone would come. Someone would help me from these people.

"Since you're here, why don't you do us the honor." Mr. Armstrong laughed and called one of his guards. He showed me a knife from the box. It was shining, and I could tell how sharp it was. "If you manage to kill Becky, I won't let anyone know who killed the mayor. It would be Becky's downfall. But if you didn't... I will kill your father and your friends at the institution. You want that?"

My knees weakened. What was he saying? Was he making me choose between Becky's life and the others? I turned to Becky, and she was still coughing blood and couldn't stand up. She was so tired, and she couldn't take another stab. I knew her as a strong woman, but it was a different story now. She needed to escape right now. Her body couldn't take it anymore.

"What about my life?" I asked. My father and Becky's eyes widened. "Disown Becky. Remove her from the family tree and burn my corpse to pretend that I was her. Show the people that your only daughter died. Take her far away. Was that a good trade?" I asked.

Becky tried to shake her head, but she couldn't. Her eyes began to tear again as she pleaded with me not to do that. However, I couldn't think of anything.

Becky would have power after many years. I could see it. If she died today, who would stop this kind of discrimination? If she died, who would take revenge?

"Nice trade. My wife wouldn't be mad at me if she found out that I didn't kill our daughter." Mr. Armstrong sharpened the knife more.

"Acting tough but afraid of your wife?" I asked and chuckled. "Men are nothing without women. Women can be alone. Are you doing this because women are weak? Or are you afraid that they get stronger and revolt so, in the first place, you took their power?"

"Freen!" Dad came and slapped me again. "Shut up already!"

"You too!" I yelled at him. "You were head over heels with my stepmother, right? Most of you here! You love your wife so much, right? What if someone did this to your wives, huh?" I asked them. They all taken aback.

"Stop with your sugarcoated words, Freen. It won't work on us." Mr. Armstrong laughed and went to Becky. His guards forced her to stand up, and he pointed the knife at his daughter. "Upper or lower, Freen?"

"What are you saying?" I asked. My body trembled. I wanted to run right now, but I couldn't because of the stupid guards who were holding me.

"Just choose. If I get bored, I would choose myself." Mr. Armstrong grinned.

"Lower," I heard my father. "Choose."

"Lower!" I shouted, but my eyes widened when Mr. Armstrong stabbed Becky in the stomach. Becky fell on the floor as the blood poured out of her mouth. "What did you do?" I yelled and tried to escape, but I really couldn't. Energy left me as Becky's blood ran down.

"Freen..." Finally, she spoke.

The guards let me run towards her.

"I love you." Those were her last words before the lights went out and when they came back, Becky's corpse disappeared.

"Search every place! Don't let that demon get out of this place!" Mr. Armstrong yelled.

My father pulled me out from the other door and told me to remain quiet.

"Leave, Freen. Don't go back to this place. Choose another state to live in. Don't come back here! Please, listen to me." My father handed me a locket. "I promised your mother that I won't let you die at the hands of the Armstrong. I promised her that I would protect you by all means."

"But Becky..." I cried.

"Someone took her. Before you came, she came here first. I guess it's the one you're calling Friend?" Dad sighed and clasped my hand. "Leave now, Freen. I don't know where they went but if they didn't see Becky, they will find and kill you."

"But what about you?" I asked.

"I'm fine here, Freen. I chose this life, but you didn't. So go!" Dad pushed me and I ran while tears streaming down my face.

I promise that I would come back here and I would be the one to kill that Armstrong! I would make him experience what Becky had. I would make his life miserable!

--END--