Chapter 33

I gestured to Friend, urging her to hide, but she remained unmoved. She fixed me with furrowed brows and insisted that I open the door since Becky was growing impatient.

"If Becky catches sight of you..." I couldn't finish my sentence as Friend rolled her eyes and took matters into her own hands, opening the door herself.

"What are you doing here?" she confronted Becky, who responded with a defiant glare.

"I should be asking you that," Becky retorted, pushing Friend aside to enter.

Becky surveyed the room, realizing it was only Friend and me present. Her gaze bore into me with a mix of irritation and jealousy. Typical.

"Friend mentioned someone was following me, so she's here. Why are you here?" I questioned, guiding her to a stool.

"They're lighting up a bonfire, so I asked them to call you. No one wanted to, so I decided to fetch you myself." Becky shrugged and observed my face. "It's pretty quiet here. Want to stay instead?" she suggested, leisurely removing the vest from my uniform.

"I'm not in the mood for socializing. My social battery is drained. Can't you go without me?" I sighed and went on the couch.

"How can I enjoy without you?" Becky replied, joining me on the couch. However, she couldn't resist placing her hand on my legs, tracing gentle circles. "I'd rather stay here with you than talk to those nonsense people." She whispered in my ear, playfully biting it.

"Should I go there?" Friend asked as she cleared her throat. Becky glared at her and nodded lazily.

"Becky, I'm not in the mood for your silly games." I rolled my eyes, removing her hands as I stood up.

Becky squinted at me, leaning on the couch with a seductive look. She bit her lower lip, and a teasing smile played on her lips.

"Should I ask Friend?" Becky threatened, making my blood boil. I knew their history now. I knew she could do it.

"I am here for a reason, Becky. If you want to have sex, ask her. I don't care." I rolled my eyes.

Who does she think she is?

"Are you sure?" she asked, standing up too. She wrapped her arms around me from behind, burying her face in my neck. "But I'm just kidding, baby. I only want it with you." Becky removed the tuck of my white long sleeve from my skirt, tracing circles on my stomach. "I'm sorry."

"Go to the bonfire or whatever it is. I need to find something here. I don't think my stepmother left on her own," I informed her.

"Should I help you?" she asked innocently, looking at me with those puppy eyes.

"No, help yourself and go to that party, if it's a party..." I removed her hands from me and went inside the room.

However, Becky didn't leave. She followed me, helping me search the room. She lit up one of her cigarettes, and together we scoured every corner.

"What exactly are you looking for?" she inquired, peering into the drawers. "Papers? Letters? Notebooks? What?"

"Anything suspicious. Just give it to me if you think it's unusual to have in this house." I instructed, and she quickly nodded.

We searched for hours, finding nothing. Becky eventually gave up, deciding to sit on the couch while waiting for me. She was now enjoying a lollipop.

"Do you know why I always have a lollipop or candy after a cigarette?" she asked.

"That's a random question, Bec. I'm looking for something; ask me that question later." I glared at her.

"So people won't smell the cigarette smell." Becky sighed, looking at the door we hadn't searched due to lack of a key. "You know what I mean?" she asked.

I furrowed my brows, "What?"

"Why does that door smell so good? I mean, all the rooms smelled like dust. Why does that door smell like flowers?" she asked.

I immediately went to the door, and she was right; it smelled like flowers. Peony flowers. I hadn't noticed it before, but Becky's sense of smell was incredible. Or maybe it was because it was peony, and she could detect it immediately?

I tried to remove the knob, but it was too sturdy. When I turned around, I saw Becky holding a baseball bat, which I didn't know was in my house. When did I have that kind of thing inside my house?

"Move." She prompted. She began to hit the knob until it loosened. When it was done, she threw the bat on the floor and removed the knob to open it.

"You go first," Becky said, and I nodded.

I entered the room, finding only one thing inside—a safe box covered with peony flowers.

"The hell!" Becky covered her nose due to the stench emanating from the safe box.

Even I wanted to retch, but there was no time for that. My curiosity about what was inside overpowered me.

"This wasn't locked, Becky. You can leave if you can't take it," I told her, but she shook her head.

"Nah, I'm fine." She gestured for me to open it.

I looked at the safe box again and slowly opened it. But what surprised me was the blood that oozed out as I opened the door.

What the hell is this?

When I fully opened it, my stepmother's corpse spilled out. It was already rotting, and I couldn't help but vomit at the gruesome sight.

Fuck. Who did this?