Chapter 28

I awoke with a pounding headache, groaning in pain. Had I overslept again?

Wait, was it all a dream?

Glancing at the other side of my bed, I saw no one. Becky should be here sleeping. Didn't she come back last night?

"You're awake," Becky said, carrying a food tray. "Surprise. Breakfast in bed."

"Did you come home last night?" I asked.

Becky shook her head. "Nope. Why?"

I glared at her. "Stop lying. I heard you."

"Even if you ask Nam, I didn't go back—oh, you mean in this room?" she asked and chuckled. "Yes. I sang, remember?"

"So it was really you," I said, lowering my gaze. "I thought it was just a dream."

I slid off the bed to take a quick shower but couldn't shake the thought of what she said last night. Did she mean it, or was it just to keep me from overthinking? What were we now? A thing? I'd never had a serious relationship before, not that no one pursued me, but it wasn't in my vocabulary.

"Freen, still not done? The breakfast's gone cold," Becky knocked on my bathroom door, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I shook my head to erase the lingering thoughts and covered myself with a towel because I'd forgotten to bring clothes.

"You forgot that I am here?" Becky asked without looking at me, reading a book. "That's not a proper way to seduce me, Freen."

"I'm not seducing you. I'm getting clothes," I said and rolled my eyes.

Just as I was about to get my uniform, my towel loosened, causing me to hold onto it tightly and glare at Becky, who was looking at me with innocent eyes. She raised both hands, feigning innocence.

I continued getting my uniform and stopped for a moment, realizing that I often changed in this room, not in the bathroom. But how could I change with Becky looking at me intently?

"Can you turn around?" I asked.

"I've seen all of them, Freen. What are you hiding?" she asked back, still looking at me.

"Just turn around. I'm... shy." I averted my gaze as I waited for her to turn around.

Becky stood up from where she sat, walked near me, and stood in front of me. She kissed my forehead.

"I'll be waiting for you in the office. Eat your breakfast, okay?" she asked and gently tousled my hair.

Becky went out, and in that moment, I felt like something heavy had lifted. Why did I have to raise my guard when she's around? I knew her for a long time now. Not too long, but after all we've been through together, I could say that she was a good person. Was she?

I went to our classroom, and all eyes were on me as usual. I didn't get it. I'd been here for more than months now, but they still considered me a newbie who didn't know how this school worked. As if I were their prey.

"Freen," someone called me from my side. She looked like someone who needed help because of her skinny body, her face pale.

"What?" I asked.

The girl made a fist with one hand, with the thumb extended, and placed it over her other hand, which was extended flat. I couldn't understand it, but I had seen that sign before, and she immediately looked away when she heard that Becky was coming. She nervously flipped through her book.

"Why are you looking at her?" Becky asked, holding my chin to face her. She scrutinized the girl from head to toe, bit her bottom lip, and sighed. "Hey," Becky called her.

The girl slowly moved her head to look at Becky and immediately averted her gaze. She trembled, and Becky looked out the window, as if trying to control her anger.

"I'm sorry for talking to Freen... I-I just want to..." The girl stammered, but Becky didn't think twice and pulled the girl's tie, making me taken aback.

"Becky!" I yelled. "Let go of her!" I stood up and removed her hands from the girl's tie.

"Move, Freen. I don't want to hurt you," Becky said, but I didn't move.

The girl hid behind me, crying. She was trembling with fear, and I could say that Becky was the one making her suffer.

"Hurt her, and I'll never forgive you." I glared at Becky.

Becky huffed and looked around. The onlookers went back to their tasks as if they hadn't watched us, afraid of getting involved.

Now, I remembered that sign. It was a cry for help. This girl was asking for my help because of Becky.

"You can't forever protect her, Freen. If you will, you'll regret it." Becky turned her back and left.

The girl almost stumbled on the floor, but luckily, I caught her. I looked at her face, and she seemed tired. What did Becky do? What was she up to?

Now, I remembered why Becky stopped the event. She didn't want anyone to win because she wanted to bully everyone. I wondered if I didn't get attention. Would she do the same to me? If my father wasn't her butler before, would she also make me suffer? Was she just indebted that was why couldn't she hurt me? Her actions were bothering me. I didn't know now. I didn't know who the real Becky was. The loving one or the evil one?

A/N: I'm still busy, but here you go vivies.