Chapter 14

Becky allowed me to spend time with Billy, as long as I returned to our room for the night. She wanted to sleep next to me, and I understood her desire for closeness.

A part of me couldn't help but wonder, what if Becky saw something of her sibling in me? Perhaps, her brother and I were similar, and she could find solace in that connection. But Becky's actions were perplexing; one moment she wanted me close, the next she'd hurt me. Her intentions remained a mystery.

"Are you alright? You seem lost in thought again," Billy commented, his hands busy decorating the room for the upcoming competition.

"I'm just thinking about something," I replied.

Billy chuckled and came up behind me, wrapping his arms around me. He rested his chin on my shoulder, bringing our faces closer.

"Is it about Becky?" he asked, looking at me, and our faces drew nearer.

I couldn't sense any awkwardness, but it felt like I couldn't feel anything at all. Perhaps I was overthinking, causing me to forget that I still had emotions.

"I don't know what's going on with her. I can't understand her. One moment, she wants me close, the next, she hurts me. I'm baffled by her intentions," I sighed.

Billy straightened up, but didn't release his hold on me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and gently massaged my back. I felt him kiss the top of my head, prompting me to look at him.

"What was that for?" I asked.

"I just want you to know that no matter what decision you make, I'm here to support you," he said, smiling and kissing my forehead.

"That's enough, lovebirds," Charlotte interrupted, entering the room with Engfa. They placed the box we had ordered on the table and glanced at us.

"Be careful, Freen. Being Becky's right-hand means she wants you exclusively. She doesn't like to share," Engfa cautioned then turned to Billy.

I shifted slightly away from Billy, but he firmly held my arms and drew me back towards him. He shot a stern look at the two newcomers and gestured for them to leave.

"Don't pay them any mind, Freen. Becky can't hurt me," Billy assured me, still holding my hand, which I then pulled away.

As much as I wanted to hold his hand, I had to proceed with caution. If Becky couldn't directly harm someone due to a promise, there was a chance she'd use someone else to do it.

I turned to Billy with a look of sadness in my eyes, hoping it wouldn't be me who would betray him.

"Let's just finish this," I said, taking the box and helping to decorate the room.

By the time it was eight in the evening, I decided to return to my room. Billy, however, insisted that I stay. He was sleeping with his head in my lap again, not wanting me to leave.

"Freen, just for tonight, let me have you," he whispered.

"But you don't own me, Billy," I replied. "Becky does."

Billy opened his eyes and averted his gaze from mine, clearly hurt. He had known all along why he didn't want me to become Becky's carnage.

"Tomorrow, I won't have a reason to spend time with you," Billy sighed and sat up, gazing out the window where the moon was casting its glow. "You're one of a kind, Freen. Many girls have tried to be with me, but I've always refused because I wasn't comfortable. With you, I want to be with you every hour of the day, every minute, and every second." Billy took my hand and intertwined it with his. "Am I sounding silly?"

"Yes," I chuckled. "You're not here to find a girlfriend, you know." I playfully pinched his nose, and he laughed.

"I know, but life here is so much easier when you're with someone who understands you, someone you're comfortable with, right? If I could, I'd steal you from Becky. If I could, I'd get you out of this institution. If only I'd met you sooner," he said, his other hand gently caressing my cheek. He sighed.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Nothing," he replied and let go of me. He stood up and dusted off his pants, offering me a hand to help me stand.

"I'm leaving," I said and grabbed my bag.

"Stay with me tonight, please?" he pleaded.

Billy moved closer, and I backed away until I was against the wall. I couldn't retreat any further.

"I have to go," I said. "Becky will be furious."

"I don't care. She can do whatever she wants to me," Billy said, once again cupping my cheek and leaning in.

The room was dimly lit, with the moon providing the only source of light. I didn't know why I didn't stop him, but as our foreheads touched, I felt an overwhelming sense of safety.

"Can I?" he asked.

Without hesitation, I nodded. Billy pressed his lips to mine, and I felt butterflies fluttering wildly in my stomach. It was my first kiss, and it was passionate.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and deepened the kiss. I wanted it to last, and as the night grew darker, I forgot that someone was waiting for me in my room.