The Proposal

Two weeks into physiotherapy, his knee was at a better condition than before. Dr. Brijesh was a great help in fueling his recovery process. He had to keep this up for the next six to eight months and he'd be as fit as a fiddle. Of course it helped Arnav that he was quickly adaptable to change, be it following a set schedule or having to help his father out with an emergency at 7 in the morning.

"The wall is pretty damaged, dad. Let's clear out everything here and I'll cover the area with a peel-stop." Arnav stated, look at the wall in the store room of his father's furniture shop.

"Alright. Thanks for getting here so quickly." Arnav shot him a bored look and got started on cleaning up the mess.

His father went on mumbling about how the plumber refused to come here and claimed it was too early to work despite him offering extra money.

Forty five minutes into the task and only three-fourth of the damage was covered. Unfortunately, Arnav's knee started acting up shooting pain throughout his leg. All he wanted was a five minute break, to sit and gather his strength but one look at his dad, and he was determined to push himself through.

Rajesh Randhawa was a man in his early fifties yet he worked every day like he was in his prime. There was no way Arnav could take a break when his young dad wasn't even bickering about all the work. He would simply have to suffer the consequences later.

A tiring fifteen minutes later, they were done controlling the damage to their best ability. Washing his hands, his father asked, "let's get breakfast?"

"Um, yeah. I'm going to get some water first." Arnav cursed himself for sounding too distressed.

 "Sure. You know what, I'm going to order food in. Go and sit in the cabin."

His father had figured out that his boy was tired. Arnav simply shook his head and made his way into the cabin.

"I was thinking that I could help you out here from now on." He said, taking a bite of poha.

His father's face showed signs of perplexion, "huh?"

"I'm bored sitting at home. All I've got going on right now is my physiotherapy. I want to do more."

"You should be resting, beta." His father clearly wasn't convinced.

(beta = child )

"Dad,-" he began, "I feel like I've been resting since forever. I need to get out of the house. What's better than working here, with my father?"

Lost in thought, his father rubbed at his chin, "Alright, I guess you've got a point."

"Cool! I'll start today itself and then we'll wrap it up at 6, today? Mom's invited you over dinner." Arnav spoke too fast leaving no chance for his father to object.

                       ------------------------------------------

From the minute they stepped into the house. Arnav could feel the shift in the air. His parents were either too silent or too excited the next second. Something was wrong, he could sense it. The tension was thick and the energy around him felt a little uncomfortable.

He hears his father clears his throat, "your mother found a match for you."

So this was it, the reason his parents were acting suspicious. 

"Who is it?" He questioned.

"I met her mother at the temple 10 days ago. We got to talking and found out her daughter too is single like you. So, we thought it would be a good idea for you two to meet." His mother answered.

"Alright. When do I meet her?" His mother's grip on the fork had loosened, a look of surprise was evident on her face. She did not expect her son to agree to this quickly.

"Tomorrow at 11 a.m. Coffee house."

"Tomorrow? That is quick." He said, wiping his mouth off with a tissue. "What's her name?"

"Kritika Singh."

       —--------------------------------------------

When Kriti heard her parents talk about another match, she quietly agreed to it without opposing. She was given the details of the boy and was informed that she'll have to meet him the next day.

She prepared a mental note on the topics she would have to talk about with him, though it didn't take much time as she was used to this madness. She only hoped for tomorrow to go peacefully. All she wanted was peace.

************************************************

Will you look at that? They are going to meet! I'm very excited. Please do vote and comment

and follow me on Instagram : x.wanderlustwrites.x

x