The Day After

For more updates and spoilers, please do consider following me on instagram. The link is in bio.

Kritika wasn't a morning person through and through. She could rot in bed for hours yet here she was, at 6 am climbing the stairs towards the temple, non-grumpy, unlike the person beside her. She slept like a baby last night, thanks to their early wedding ceremony, and the minimal post wedding rituals. The same couldn't be said for her husband though. He looked distant this morning. He grumbled a good morning to her and there was no further conversation.

"Are you not a morning person?" She asked, hoping that would be the reason for his bad mood.

"I like mornings. Why'd you ask?" She simply shrugged at that even though she wanted to ask him, what's gotten him so grumpy.

Reaching the top, her mother-in-law greeted the priest. Arnav took it upon himself to introduce her.

"Pandit ji, This is my wife. Kritika Randhawa." His introduction of her had her heart beating too fast and face reddening. She was his wife now and she wasn't Kritika Singh anymore. She was Kritika Randhawa.

"Pandit ji, inn dono ki kal hi shaadi hui hain."

(They've gotten married yesterday.)

The pandit ji wished them and put tilak on their foreheads. The new couple then does the aarti and they touch the pandit ji's feet for blessings.

"Sada saath raho. Sada khush raho." He blesses them and offers them prasad. The family prays together one last time before making their way down the temple.

(Stay together always. Stay happy always.)

It was when they were going down the stairs, Kriti noticed Arnav's demeanour. He put more of his weight on his right leg. She could see that he was trying to control his breathing. She instantly felt stupid. How could she forget about his  pain? Surely, going up and down all the stairs was an excruciating task for him. Hoping that he'd be okay with it, she quietly held his hand. He seemed to be relieved with the gesture of hers and she felt some of his weight on hers. Slowly walking, they made their way to the car.

      —-----------------------------------

"Kriti beta, nashte ke liye tum sirf kuch meetha bana do. Baaki ka mai kar dungi." Manaswi had instructed her for her pehli rasoi. Kriti set on making gajar halwa before realising that Arnav didn't like sweets much. She wanted to make something for him too.

( Kriti child, you just make something sweet for breakfast. I'll do the rest.) 

(Pehli Rasoi =. ritual where the daughter-in-law cooks something fir the first time at her in-laws place.)

"Mom, woh mujhe aapse kuch puchna tha."

(I want to ask you something.)

"Haan beta, tell me."

(Yes child.)

"Um woh, Arnav ko breakfast mai kya pasand hai?"

(What does Arnav like for breakfast?)

"Hmm, your husband really likes Upma."

"Main bana du?" She asks, hoping for a yes.

(Shall I make it?)

"Beta, iski koi zaroorat nahi hain. Tu bas meetha bana." Her mother-in-law was well aware of her thoughts but only wanted to tease the newlywed bride. Kriti too fell silent not wanting to push further.

(Child, there's no need for this. You just make something sweet.)

Laughing, her mother-in-law said, "arre beta, tujhe agar apne pati ke liye kuch banana hain, toh bana na. Mujhse kyun pooch rahi hai?" Kriti just looked down, embarrassed.

(If you want to make something for your child, do it. Why are you asking me?)

Without further delay, she started the preparation to make the halwa. Just as she was grating the carrots, Kriti felt Arnav's presence in the kitchen.

"Main kuch help kar doon?" he asked, eating a carrot. 

(Shall I help you?)

"Nope. I got it." She declined, just happy with the fact that he cared to ask.

Yawning, he leaned against the counter. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. You should take a nap after breakfast."

"Ahh. I'm just a little tired."

Involuntarily, her eyes went towards his knee which didn't go unnoticed by Arnav. His face was back to his usual stoic expressions and she internally cursed herself.

"I'll go set the table." Saying that, he exit the kitchen.

        -------------------------------------------

"It is very tasty, beta." Her father-in-law complimented her cooking. Mansavi

too praised Kriti's cooking.

Arnav, however, was too taken with eating the upma. His interest in it was a great indication that he liked it and that was more than enough for Kriti.

"Accha, tum dono shift kab ho rahe hon?" Arnav and Kriti decided they were going to move into Arnav's flat after their marriage. He bought that place a few years ago and it was his pride and joy.

(When are you both shifting?)

"In three days," Arnav answered.

"Good. Riyaan tum dono ki help karega shift karne main." Mansavi declared, serving herself some more halwa.

(Riyaan will help you both with the move.)

After the breakfast, Kriti's in-laws gifted her a bangle set. Arnav was embarrassed that he forgot to get her a gift. His mother gifted her a jhumki set on his behalf. 

"Thank you for the upma. I loved it." It was one of the best upmas he had in his life. He was touched to know that she made it specially for him.

"I'm glad you did." Kriti was very pleased with herself. She could feel her need to prove herself to be worthwhile was setting back in but one couldn't blame her. A person chose her after so long and she was determined to work it all through.

"I'm sorry I didn't get you anything." Arnav apologised.

"It is no problem at all."

"I'll help you wear them though." Did her husband just flirt with her and walk away like it was no big deal? Yes, he did. Kriti was left standing in the hallway trying to calm the butterflies erupting within her. 

****************************************

I hope you guys like the chapter ! Please do vote, comment and share with your friends! 

New chapters will be uploaded every Sunday. Take care Gol Gappas