Dilemma

"He said what?" Kriti couldn't believe her ears. She was sure her mother heard it wrong.

"He said yes! His mother just called." Her mother stated with a giant grin on her face. "She asked about your decision but since you haven't given me an answer yet, I asked them for some time."

"He said yes?" Kriti couldn't believe her own ears. Did he not understand what she said at their meeting?

"I don't understand maa, why'd he say yes? No one has accepted me and now-"

"Kritika!" The look on her mother's face gave away clear signs of disappointment. "He wants to marry you. Problem kya hain?"

Kriti's face had begun to change into shades of red. How could her mother not see the problem? Did she forget about it now that a guy had finally accepted to marry her?

"I want to talk to him," Kriti said.

"Here's his number. His mother gave it to me. Call him soon and let us know." With that her mother got busy with her own work leaving Kriti to her thoughts.

The thought of a guy accepting her, saying yes to marriage with her seemed strange to her. She was set on thinking that he would have to have ulterior motives if he wanted to marry her. It was probably due to pressure from his parents, that could be the only reason he said yes.

Her finger hovered over the number on her phone screen. Before her head burst from all the thinking, she pressed the dial button and waited for him to pick up. 

"Hello?" Her throat had gone dry upon hearing his voice. Everything she wanted to ask him was long forgotten.

"Hello?"

"Arnav, hi. This is Kritika." Finding her voice, she replied.

"Oh, hi."

"You want to marry me?" Straight to the point, her question sounded way too accusing.

"Should I not?" She was now starting to get annoyed. This man was clearly in a playful mood whereas she was not.

"Why do you want to marry me?"

"I think we make a good match. Do you not think that?" Arnav Randhawa clearly answered questions with questions.

"Did you not hear what I said this morning? I can't have children." She heard a sigh from his end.

"Kritika, tell me one thing. Did you not want children before you found out you couldn't conceive?"

"I did," her voice was now softer only to be a pitch higher as she said, "but now I can't."

"We could always adopt." He said it like it was no big deal. He said it like adoption was the natural way people had children. Kritika remembered how she offered the same solution to her ex boyfriend many years ago only to be refuted and tossed away like she was trash.

"People are going to talk though and I-"

"I'll shut them up.", he cut her off, sending her heart running miles per second.

"Kritika," he said, "I don't know what kind of jerks you dealt with before but I assure you that I considered everything. I know what I'm getting into and when I say that I want to marry you, I mean it. I expect your companionship, trust, and care and you'll receive them in return too."

Kriti was moved by his words, her mind and heart were now in a battle.

"Unless you find me unattractive or you strongly feel that we won't be a good fit, I don't see any reason as to why you would say no." His confidence was definitely commendable.

"I need time," she said.

"Take your time. Feel free to call me if you have other questions and if it is a no, I wish you the best, Kritika."

Three times, three times he'd taken her name and each time, it sent shivers down her spine.

"Bye, Arnav."

—------------------------------------------

Kritika did what every girl does when she can't make a decision. She called her best friend to brainstorm.

"Hey Kri-,"

"Saanvi! Tell me, is six years too much of an age gap between a couple?" Her high pitched voice had Saanvi concerned. 

"Are you okay?"

"I don't know, but tell me, is six years too much?" She repeated her question.

"I don't think so, Kriti. Vihaan and I have a five year age gap and we're happy." Kriti released the breath she was holding.

"Ab tu mujhe batayegi hua kya hain?" Kriti told her best friend about the events that took place earlier. She voiced her fears about getting married.

(Now will you tell me what happened?)

"Wait wait, you're telling me you found a guy? Oh my god! That is amazing!" Excitement was clear in Saanvi's voice.

"Saanvi! You don't get it. I told him about my problem and yet he wants to marry me. It just....I don't know, makes me feel uneasy."

"Or maybe he's genuinely a nice person and wants to marry you?" Her best friend asked.

"I don't know." Kriti admitted defeatedly.

"Kriti, how did you feel after your meeting with him?"

"I felt normal to be honest. The usual feelings of despair and anger weren't present. It felt okay.", Kriti was scared to say that it felt good. After a long time, she wasn't judged or pitied by a guy. She also told Saanvi about how he reassured her on the call.

"Babe listen, give him a chance. What's the harm in it?" Saanvi encouraged her to proceed further.

"Alright. Guess there's no harm."

—-----------------------------------------

"Maa?" She called out to her mom standing at the entrance of her parents' bedroom.

"Haan baccha, tell me."

(Yes child)

"I was thinking of inviting Arnav and his family to dinner? What do you say?"

Her mother smiled, "sounds good. I'll call them."

She wished her mother a good night and as she was leaving, her mother called out to her, "sun Kriti, make up your mind, okay. Aise kisi ko ghar pe bhulane ke baad na kehna accha nahi lagta."

( Listen Kriti, make up your mind okay. Saying no to someone after inviting them home doesn't look good.)

Kriti nodded. Entering her room, she jumped into her bed lost in thoughts, sleep far away that night. 

********************************************

SO It's a YES from Mr. Randhawa! Kriti seems to be still unsure. 

How are you guys liking the story so far? Please do vote and comment.

Connect with me on IG: