Coming back

Arnav got down from his car and grabbed his luggage and the bouquet of red roses. His face hurt from all the grinning. He hurriedly went up to his flat and rang the doorbell. However when the door opened, his smile dimmed and his face went blank.

"Were you just smiling?" His cousin, Riyaan, opened the door.

"What are you doing here?" Arnav's mind ran miles per hour. "Is Kritika okay?"

"Arnav?" The sweet voice of his wife reached his ears. She came out of their bedroom and was a few feet behind Riyaan.

Arnav slightly pushed Riyaan to the side and took long strides towards his wife. He picked her by her waist and twirled her around a little. "I missed you so much, Kritika."

"I missed you more." Kriti said, still in Arnav's arms. "You're early." Arnav was supposed to come back in the evening. It was currently 8 in the morning.

"Well, I really missed you." He said, emphasising on really.

When a person cleared their throat, Arnav put Kriti down and looked over at the couch to see his mother seated there.

"Oh, hi mom." He looked down embarrassed. "Aap kab aayi?"

(When did you come?)

His mom had a small smile on her face. "Mai toh kab se yahan hun beta. Tum hi ne nahi dekha."

(I've been here a while. You didn't notice.)

He hugged her. "I'm glad you're here, maa." 

"Well, Kriti is very glad to see you too." She looked over at Kriti who was in the kitchen getting Arnav a glass of water. "Maine socha mai aake Kriti ko company deti hun."

(I thought I'd come over and keep Kriti company.)

"Haan par badi maa, humari koi zaroorat nahi hain. Bhai hain na yahan." Riyaan commented and earned a glare from Arnav.

(Yes but aunt, we aren't needed here. Brother is here now.)

( badi maa = mom's/dad's eldest sister.)

All the while, Kriti silently arranged breakfast on the dining table. The four of them sat down and Arnav filled them in on his trip. After breakfast, Manaswi and Riyaan were ready to leave.

"Take rest, beta." Manaswi told Arnav. She hugged Kriti and kissed her forehead before leaving.

As soon as their door closed, Arnav put his arms around Kritika bringing her closer to him. His front was pressed to her back. Arnav kissed her hair and took a look at her. "Bohut thaki hui lag rahi hon?" Her face was peaceful yet her eyes were droopy and she looked a little weary.

(You look tired?)

"I'm okay." She said softly and turned around to snuggle into his chest.

"Are you sure, precious?" His concern and the nickname had her closing her eyes. 

"I got my periods early in the mornings. I just feel a little sick."

Arnav rubbed her back and stroked her hair. "You should be resting."

"You just got here though." Kriti said, pulling back a little with a pout.

"I'm not going anywhere, jaana." He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "You should take a nap."

(jaana = term of endearment. Life/love.)

"Okay. You could sleep with me." She bit her tongue as soon those words were said.