Nightmare

Kriti woke up from her sleep to go to the washroom. She turned to see her husband asleep. She ran her fingers through his hair. The clock read 4 a.m.

Coming out of the washroom, she saw Arnav's face twisting. Slowly, his legs began to trash around.

"Arnav, wake up!" She quickly rushed to his side. He was having a nightmare. She shook him violently and thanks to the fact that he was a light sleeper, he woke up. Sitting up on the bed, his face was covered in sweat. The only sound heard was his loud breathing. "You're okay. I'm right here." Kriti said.

A few more seconds passed, the faint light from the washroom highlighting the sweat droplets on his face "It's me, Kriti. Your wife." As realisation dawned on him and he came back to reality, he grabbed her arms.

"Kritika! Are you okay?" His voice was loud and his breath heavy. His eyes were focused on her with concern and guilt.

"Yes, yes. Arnav, I'm okay." He rested his head on her shoulder and pulled her closer to his chest. His hands rubbed her arms and back, as if to feel her presence. He clutched her tighter. She could feel his fear. "It's just us, Arnav. I'm right here, not going anywhere." They lied down on the bed. His head was on her shoulder and his arms across her stomach. A few minutes later, his breathing calmed down.

 —------------------------------------

The following morning, Kriti had to go to her office for half a day. Arnav seemed too distant. He had asked her about her health, cooked her breakfast, packed her lunch.

"I've to go to the shop. Dad needs me." Arnav said, putting his watch on. His tone was firm and aloof. "Take care of yourself, okay. Eat well."

He took a look at her and leaned in to kiss her head. "Call me if you don't feel good. I'll be here by the time you get back." He spoke like he was reading a script, like he was a flight attendant giving out safety instructions.

Kriti's heart squeezed seeing him like that. It was as if he was fighting a battle within himself. She wanted to reach out and help him but that would only push him back into his cocoon. Arnav needed time. She needed to be patient.

 —-----------------------------------------

Opening the door to her room, she found Arnav laying on the couch with his hand on his head. He got up on seeing her and took her bag. "How are you feeling?" Her husband hadn't stopped looking after her even when he wasn't feeling good. Kriti wanted to do the same. She badly wanted to hide him in her embrace and tell him that everything was going to be fine but Arnav didn't seem to want to talk about it.

"Precious, you okay?" Damn the nickname. She nodded and pulled him in for a hug.

"How's dad?" She mumbled into his chest, her arms enclosing his waist.

"He's good. All he talked about today was his daughter-in-law." He caressed her hair with his free hand and kissed her head. "Go freshen up. Eat something and you can take a nap." Kriti only tightened his hold on him.

"Jao Kritika." He gently pushed her into the room.

(Go, Kritika)

 —--------------------------------------

Arnav could see the questions dancing in her eyes. There was care, concern and a lot of questions but she was holding back. She wasn't pushing him to open up for which he was so grateful for. He was going to talk to her and give her answers. He just didn't know how to. 

"The food is delicious." Kriti complimented, with a small smile on her face. His sweet, sunshine wife was being so patient.

After their lunch, Arnav washed the dishes while Kriti dried them. Awkward silence lingered through.

"Come lay down with me for a while." Kriti led him to the couch. It was big enough for both of them. Kriti didn't realise how close they were going to be. They were sandwiched against each other. The close proximity had goosebumps erupting all over her. She looked at him. His ears had turned pink. Arnav quietly pulled the throw blanket over them.

"I want to talk, Kritika, but I don't know how to."

"Take your time." Kriti caressed his cheek. "I'm right here."

"I- uh. Growing up as an only child, it had always been difficult for me to talk about my emotions. I found my best friend, Prateek, in college. In school, I had friends but there was no emotional connection with them. They'd come and go." He rubbed her shoulder, confirming that she was still present. She laid her hand on his cheek.

"When I joined the army, I was aware of the trauma it would give me. I was aware of the baggage I'd have to carry for the rest of my life. It was tough of course, so tough. After my first major operation, I was suggested to visit the councellor so that my mental health doesn't fuck up further. It took me a lot of time to open up and talk to him but he was patient, he listened and he guided me the best way he could." Arnav's voice kepting getting softer and softer. Kriti shifted in her place to hear him better.

"For more than a year and a half, I went to him. We formed a sort of camaraderie. One night, I got a phone call. He passed away due to a heart attack." Kriti slightly gasped. She didn't expect that. "It was difficult for me to find another councellor I couldn't connect with anyone else. So, I relied on the techniques of  my old psychiatrist and got by." He took a deep breath in and closed his eyes for a second. Opening them, he found Kriti's gaze fixated on him.

"I didn't see my retirement coming. I was ready to push through but my body was done. I guess I didn't know what else I was supposed to do if I wasn't an army man." His fingers grazed her face, "but then I found you. My hope, my beautiful wife, my amazing Kritika." He kissed her head and cupped her cheek.

"I was initially very scared about this whole marriage thing. I didn't want to get a divorce like my parents did and I was scared that I wouldn't be a good husband. I experience nightmares, I have scars on my back, my knee is all messed up and you're stuck with me." Kriti's heart broke hearing him sound so defeated. His eyes were filled with tears and he looked everywhere but her.

She turned his face to hers. Her own eyes were filling up. "If there is anyone in the world I want to be stuck with, it is you. Be it an island, a desert, a snowstorm or a room full of all the pain in the world, my eyes will always search for you. My arms will always be ready to hold you." A tear made its way out of Arnav's eyes. "Your scars and injuries don't define you. Your heart does and let me tell you Arnav, your heart is beautiful." Arnav pulled her in closer. Her words made an imprint on his heart.

"Only because you're in it, my precious." Kriti blushed and cried, all at the same time. She wiped his tears and hers.

Taking his face in her palms, she said, "I want you to know that I'm here to help you through everything. As I said before, we're a team so don't ever think you're all alone. You have me."

He kissed her eyes and her corner of the mouth. "You have me too." Kriti settled herself on him. "You look so beautiful when you're red." Kriti whined and shoved him slightly.

—--------------------------------

"We should cuddle. Come and lay here, I want to hold you." Arnav was amused at his wife. How could she be so shy and upfront at the same time?

He put his head on her chest but was careful not to crush her with his weight. That didn't do any good because the very next second, Kriti pulled him closer. Arnav chuckled and put his hands around her waist. "Goodnight, precious."

Kritika kissed his head. "Goodnight, Arnav."

******************************************

Hey Golgappas! Sorry for the delay, I got real busy. 

Hope y'all like this. Please do comment and vote. 

QOTD: What does your ideal day look like?