Family Dinner

Kriti's dream of having a place with her future partner was now very close to coming true. Their shopping trip was a huge success. Her pinterest board for home decor was finally coming to life. Not to mention, shopping with her husband was refreshing. He was patient and easy to be with. She was finally having the 'normal' life she always wanted and she couldn't be more grateful for it.

"So, how's married life? Does everyone treat you well?" Preeti asked her sister who was seated next to her. Kriti had come to her parents' home in the late afternoon. Arnav was going to join them right after he cleared the formalities with the deliveries at their new place. She was yet to see their new home and was impatiently waiting for the next day.

Her mother, though in the kitchen, had kept her ear alert for her answer.

"It's great so far and my in-laws are the sweetest people. Arnav is great too." Her answer had her sister and mother grinning.

"Jiju is great huh?" Preeti had gotten back to teasing her newlywed sister.

(jiju = brother-in-law)

"Maa, what are you cooking?"

"Right now, I'm making your favourite chocolate milkshake."

"Thank you and I hope you didn't get too crazy with the dinner." She saw her mom nod yet she knew her mother did go crazy with dinner.

Her phone chimed with a text message from her colleague, "I've got a call to make. I'm going to head up to my room."

Opening the door to her room, she noticed it was the same as it was left on her wedding day. Her mother didn't change the bedsheets or remove the bindis off the mirror. The room was thoroughly cleaned. It was clear how much her parents missed her. Shaking her head to prevent getting emotional, she quickly called her colleague and sorted out the matter. She opened her Instagram handle scrolling through her notifications. The last post was of her wedding day, her wedding lehenga, the decorations and the food. Her followers congratulated her and most of them urged her to do a Q&A. Deciding to reply to them later, she put her phone away and made her way downstairs.

Arnav was sitting on the couch, drinking water. They smiled at each other. He got busy talking to Preeti, answering her questions about his military life. Preeti thankfully was careful and considerate about her questions. Arnav seemed comfortable answering them. Kriti noticed how tired he looked. His leg wasn't stretched, the centre table was getting in the way. She quietly headed over and gave a push to the table which earned her a grateful look from Arnav. Looking closely, his eyes were droopy and he looked awfully tired. Kriti felt bad, and thought about how she should've accompanied him to help with the deliveries.

Ten minutes later, her father came home and they proceeded to have dinner. Sitting down at the table, she noticed the variety of dishes her mother cooked.

"Damad ji, aap betiye. I'll serve you." Namratha said, feeling proud of all the food she made.

(son-in-law, sit down.)

"Maa please, call me Arnav."

As her mother was serving, Kriti noticed that the Veg Pulao had mushrooms in it. Arnav is allergic to mushrooms, she thought.

Kriti stopped her mother from serving that particular dish, "maa, I forgot to tell you. Arnav doesn't eat rice at night."

"Oh, I didn't know. I'm sorry." Namratha's disheartened face made Kriti feel guilty but she felt that saying the actual reason would just make her more sad. 

"Maa, it is no problem at all. I do eat rice sometimes." Arnav was being polite. He noticed the mushrooms too but he also noticed the amount of effort his mother-in-law put in for him. He decided he was going to eat everything on the table and deal with the consequences later.

"It is okay Arnav. There's plenty of food here. You don't have to eat the Pulao." Praveen spoke, touching Namratha's fingers.

"Papa- ," he was cut off by Namratha.

"Arnav, it is alright. There's so much more food."

"Maa, why don't you pack the pulao. We'll take it home and I'll have it tomorrow, okay?" His quick solution brought back wide smiles to everyone's faces.

"You didn't have to do that." Arnav murmured to Kriti in the middle of the dinner.

"You're allergic to mushrooms."

"I know but-," He stopped when he noticed three sets of eyes on them and they had teasing smiles on their faces. Mouthing a sorry, they got back to eating.

After the dinner, Preeti pulled Kriti aside. "Jiju is nice."

"He is." Kriti stopped herself from correcting her sister. Arnav was more than nice. He was patient, kind and caring. She was hesitant to voice it out, because, one; her sister wouldn't let her live it down, two; she believed all this was too good to be true and saying it aloud could shatter this new peaceful life of hers.

Her mother came forward to hug her and the three ladies fell into a conversation. From the corner of her eyes, Kriti saw her father and Arnav talking to each other. She thanked God for the millionth time in a week, she was glad that her husband and her family got along.

 —----------------------------------------

"Kriti looks happy. I'm pleased that you both chose each other, son." Praveen placed his hand on Arnav's shoulder.

"Of course, papa. I'll always take care of her." With a nod, they shook hands and a second later Preeti appeared in front of him.

"Jiju!" She exclaimed. "I like you. You're good for my di."

(di= short form of didi. didi = used to refer to elder sister.)

"Thanks Preeti. Your di is the best for me." Arnav said, looking over at Kriti who was still talking to her mother.

Hugs and goodnights were exchanged and the couple were sitting in the car, with Arnav driving them back home. He thanked Kriti for saving him from eating the Pulao.

"You know, you were right. I don't eat rice at night."

"Really?" Kriti was gratified that she got it right. It wasn't entirely a lie.

Arnav nodded and stopped at a red light. "Are you excited about moving to our new home?" He asked because he certainly was excited. He was eager to start his new life, more like, he was excited to spend more time with his new wife.

"Very much so." Kriti replied, the elation in her voice only fueled his anticipation. 

*************************************************

Continous  update (DO READ THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER IF YOU HAVEN'T)!!!! 

Merry Christmas , Gol Gappas!!

I hope y'all have an amazing day and Santa gives you what you want! Much love! 

If you'd like to follow me on IG, the link is in the bio.