Happy Ending (Epilogue 2)

2 years later:

A few months remained for Kritika's and Arnav's third wedding anniversary but today was a day for an important celebration. Kritika set the table and once again counted the number of gift bags they had. Arnav came out of their room and shut the door softly.

"Is he up yet?"

"Nope. Little man is lost in his dreamland." Two weeks ago, Kritika and Arnav had the pleasure of adopting a three month old baby boy. They registered to adopt a child at the agency about 10 months ago. After several formalities and counselling sessions, they could bring a healthy baby boy home and today was his naming ceremony.

The couple was concerned at first whether they'd be good parents but they had their parents around and one look at the baby boy and they knew it was meant to. One by one, everyone came in. Kritika's and Arnav's parents were ecstatic to be grandparents. Arnav brought the sleepy baby out in his arms. The boy wiggled a little but didn't seem to wake up.

Namratha's eyes welled up and she took a Kriti in for a hug. "Bhagwaan tumhe humesha khush rakhein beta." Kriti understood what her mother was going through. She had endured years of sadness and taunts but now, she was happy and fulfilled. The grandparents gathered around the baby, aww-ing at every one of his small movements.

(May God always keep you happy.)

Arnav stepped back to go to his wife. He threw an arm around her waist. "We're parents."

Kriti squeezed his hand. "I still can't believe it sometimes." 

"Vishwaas karlo biwi, he keeps us up at night now." Kriti laughed and leaned into Arnav.

(Believe it, wife.)

Tara came through the door, jumping with a huge gift bag in her hand and ran straight to Kirit. "Kritika aunty!" She hugged her. "Mamma and papa aa rahein hain but mujhe baby ko milne ki jaldi thi, so I ran up and came." She looked at Arnav and offered him a handshake. Arnav reciprocated and took her to the baby.

(Mom and dad are coming but I wanted to meet the baby, so I ran up and came.)

"Wow! He is so tiny."

Arnav could see that she was hesitant to go near the baby and held her hands back. "You can touch him, it's okay."

"Mamma ne kahan ki I should wash my hands first, I'll just come."

(Mom sad to wash my hands.)

Vihaan entered, guiding a very pregnant Saanvi. "You look absolutely beautiful, sweetheart." Due to pregnancy, Saanvi's hormones were all over the place which is why she didn't currently feel all that confident.

She quickly walked over to Kriti, ignoring Vihaan's plea to be careful and hugged her. "You're a mother! Congratulations." She wished her, crying.

"Sorry Kriti," Saanvi sniffled. "It is all these pregnancy hormones." Kritika smiled at her and offered her some chocolate cake to settle down.

Prateek, Vaani, Sameer along with their one year old came. The young children kept hovering over the baby, in awe of his cuteness.

When the pandit came, the family settled. Kritika took the baby boy in her arms and sat down. He was now wide awake and ran his eyes all around the room. Thankfully, he didn't cry. He simply held his mother's finger.

"Abh aap bacche ke khaan mai uska naam boliye." 

(Now say the baby's name his ears.)

Kriti smiled at Arnav and leaned down to the baby's ear. She softly whispered, "Avyaan." The family was overjoyed. They congratulated the parents, took photos, showered the baby with the gifts and blessings.

—-------------------

At night, Kriti and Arnav laid side by side looking over at the baby cot. They had made space for the baby in their room, not wanting to have a separate nursery. Most nights would start with Avyaan sleeping in the cot and ending up in the bed, between them.

"He looks so cute." Kriti gushes.

"Haan. Mera beta hain toh zahir hain he will be cute." Arnav said, to which Kriti rolled her eyes.

(Yes. He is my son so obviously he will be cute.)

"We've come so far, Arnav." She snuggled into his embrace. "We've a child now. I can't believe we found each other."

Arnav kissed her and cupped her cheek. "Believe it, my precious. Tujhse hain raabta mera." 

(We are connected.)

THE END

*********************************************

Arnav and Kritika have gotten their sweet happy ending. Please do vote and comment Gol Gappas

QOTD: What's your bookish Roman Empire? (Something you can't stop thinking about).