The Date

Arnav was sweating throughout. His foot kept tapping on the floor. This was the first time he was taking a girl out for a date. Not just any girl, his wife. He wanted it to be the best and after a week of searching the internet and consulting Prateek, he found the perfect place for their first date.

"Arnav, what should I wear?" Kriti's sweet voice

"Anything." Looking at her face, he understood his answer did not suffice. "Dress casual, Kritika. Be comfortable."

They were going to leave in three hours. He has led countless missions and operations throughout the years but taking his wife out on a date had him sweating buckets. Pushing negative thoughts aside, he went to take a bath.

Stepping out of the room after his shower, he came face to face with Kritika. She was dressed in yellow sundress and had white sneakers on. So ethereal. Her hair was wavy and her cheeks were tinted.

"Kritika, you look..," he struggled to find the right words. "Wow. Just wow." His dilated pupils and hanging jaw confirmed his admiration. Kriti gave him a shy smile and uttered a thank you.

"I got your flowers." She coyly admitted and thrust them into his hands. She got him a bouquet of red roses for their first date.

"You got me roses." He stated, still surprised. He was supposed to get her flowers but his wife beat him to it. "I love them." He clutched them tighter to his chest.

"I'll go get ready." He walked back into their room hiding a huge grin.

A good ten minutes later, he stepped out wearing a white linen shirt and black pants. The silver chain on his neck gave him an edge. "Arnav, you look  amazing." Her starry eyed face and the compliment had him turning pink. He quickly thanked her and they made their way down to the car.

—--------------------------

"This is beautiful."

"I'm glad you liked it." Arnav pulled out a chair for Kriti and sat down with their mugs and vases. He quickly ran to get some paint and brushes.

"I've always wanted to do pottery painting." Kriti expressed, grabbing a mug and opening the paint box. "What are you going to paint?" Her enthusiasm was contagious.

Arnav's initial concern about the date was dissipating. His wife was enjoying herself and that was all that mattered. "I don't know yet. I'll figure it out as I paint." He grabbed a vase and started painting it.

As the brush moved against the vase, he couldn't help but look at Kriti. Her face was too focused on the mug in her hand. Her lips were puckered up and she had clipped some of her hair back.

"Stop staring." Naturally, he was caught. This time however, he didn't shy away from it.

"Stop being so gorgeous." Kriti didn't respond to that. She kept her focus on her painting. Their milkshakes and fries arrived. Arnav thought of them as teenagers who had to wait weeks to save up money and all they could order was fries and milkshakes but Kriti seemed to like it. And whatever Kriti liked, he liked.

They talked and laughed all throughout. 2 glasses of milkshakes and 3 servings of fries later, their paintings were done. 

"Here, you like it?" Arnav showed her his creation. It was a woman with curly hair, in a yellow dress. The woman held a paintbrush in one hand and a mug in the other.

"It is me." Kriti stated, her voice rising a pitch. Her face now resembled a tomato.

Arnav chuckled. "It is you." He gave some finished touches to the pink background and the white flowers around.

Kriti revealed her art. The mug was painted in shades of the darkest blue and black with a few stars on it. In the middle of the mug was a swing. The same swing they sat on every night just before heading to bed.

"It is beautiful Kritika."

On their way back to the car, Arnav slipped his hand into hers and Kriti intertwined their fingers. "You're different today." Arnav raised his eyebrow at her comment. "Good different." She squeezed his hand and placed a kiss on the back of his palm, her lipstick imprint was very evident. Arnav only smiled and squeezed her hand.

—--------------------

For dinner, they ordered a pizza and put on Bridesmaids.

"I still can't believe you're into chick flicks." Kriti said, sipping her drink. Yes, Bridesmaids was Arnav's choice.

"Men can watch chick flicks too. We should watch The proposal next." Kriti's jaw hung open. Rom Coms? Who was this man?

"Nope." She shook her head. "We're watching The Martian next." Kriti loved sci-fi and action movies.

"You're okay, right?" Kriti asked.

 "Yes." Arnav gulped down his pizza. "Why do you ask?"

"Just making sure." She turned to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "The dining table must be missing you tonight, cursing you for not eating there."

Arnav rolled his eyes at that but was instantly awe struck when Kriti laughed at her own joke. "I'm not okay." He cleared his throat and leaned in, close to her. "You're sitting too far away from me." Goosebumps erupted all over Kriti.

Without a word, she scooted closer to Arnav and put her head on his shoulder. Arnav wrapped his arm around, bringing her closer and stretched his leg on to the footstool.

—-------------------------------

They lay face to face on the bed, holding hands.

"Aaj ka din accha tha na?" Arnav asked.

(Today was good day, no?)

"Bohut." Even in the dimly lit room, he could see her smile. He moved in a little to close the gap between them.

(A lot.)

Kriti looked at the bedside table on Arnav's side. The flowers she gave him were in a vase on the table. She pressed a kiss on his forehead.

"Goodnight, Arnav."

***********************************

Hey Golgappas!

I'm sorry for the delay. The past few days have been very busy. 

From now on theres no schedule cuz I cannot keep up with my promise but an update once a week will be there! Thank you for all the love

QOTD: Fav tv show?