Yes/No?

"I'm glad you're here." Kriti set hair straight, looking at Saanvi. Curiosity was evident on Saanvi's face, eager to know the man who's got his eyes for her best friend.

"Are you nervous?" Of course, her best friend was a mind reader. Kriti wasn't nervous. She was super close to losing her mind.

"Kriti, I think you've gotten used to the idea of rejection and being unwanted, you cannot fathom the idea of someone wanting to be with you." Ouch! That hurt but Saanvi wasn't wrong. She was supposed to be happy that a proposal finally came through but here she was, spiralling.

"Listen," Saanvi began, clasping a chain on Kriti's neck, "talk to him alone after the dinner. Say whatever you want to but give this a fair shot. Okay?" Kriti nodded, still in deep thought.

"You're right Saanvi. What is the worst that could happen? Either, I get my happily ever after or this turns out to be another life lesson." Getting up from the vanity seat, she saw her best friend smiling at her.

"And I'll be right by you, in every step of life."

                —---------------------------------------

The dinner with the Randawas was rolling with laughter. Easy conversations flowed through and thankfully, no one had raised the topic of her impending decision on the proposal. Kriti was sat between Arnav, with whom she exchanged just a hi so far and Saanvi.

Arnav's parents seemed to be welcoming. They didn't bother her with any unnecessary questions, just the few basic ones like her education and work. Her parents also seemed to like Arnav and his parents. Most of all, her best friend had already sent her the I approve of him look at least three times by now.

When everyone gathered in the living room, helping themselves to the dessert, gulab jamun, Kriti turned to Arnav, "want to go talk in the backyard?"

"Sure, let's go." They didn't miss the smiles the people present around them threw in their direction.

The night sky was dimly lit with only a few stars hung. The golden light bulb hanging over the patio cast its yellow hue on to the backyard highlighting the cacti plants and marigolds. Arnav and Kritika were sitting on the swing, both on each end, a gap so big between them that a third person could fit.

"The food was tasty." Arnav complimented, breaking the silence.

"Thank you."

"Um," Kriti swirled the syrup of gulab jamun in her bowl, "Are you sure about marrying me?"

"Yes," came the answer.

"Your family knows?" The question hung in the air. What did his family know, she didn't specify.

"They do and they've no problem with it. They share the same thoughts as me."

"It is all too good to be true." She mumbled, looking down into her lap.

A sigh comes from Arnav, "my parents are divorced. They're still the best of friends though. I don't know how that works but it does, for them."

He turns his body facing her, "tell me, does that bother you?"

"No. Why would that bother me?" His parents' divorce wasn't any of her concern. Sometimes two people are just better off as friends.

"Exactly. This doesn't bother them either. They like you. I want a person to spend my life with Kritika and I think it is you and you not being able to conceive isn't a reason for me to say no." He took his last bite of the Gulab Jamun. "It shouldn't be for any other person either."

There was nothing she could reply to that. At that moment, he seemed so emotionally mature and selfless. It was strange enough for a guy to say yes to her, but his parents too liked her for their only child.

"I'm not perfect either." A look of melancholy taking on his features. "I cannot lift heavy things right now, I cannot walk or stand for too long. My leg has to be stretched if I'm sitting down for long periods and I've got physio for the next six months."

An eruption of laughter was heard from the inside. Surely, their parents were getting along with each other. Usually, a potential groom's family meeting meant anxiety, nervousness, over the top hospitality and endless awkward conversations.

"Alright then, It is a yes from me too." She said, almost shocking Arnav.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure? Is six years not too much?" He asked again, making her smile.

"Arnav?"

"Yes?"

"I want a small wedding. Is that okay with you?"

 "More than okay." He answered, going back to staring straight ahead.

                 —-------------------------------------

When the good news was delivered to their families, smiles erupted and more sweets were fed to one another. Both the set of parents were happy their children were going to get married. Kriti's mother was almost on the verge of crying. Her father had simply patted her head and exchanged a nod with Arnav.

Her future mother-in-law took her into her arms and welcomed her into the family. Her future father-in-law simply stood beside his son, looking like he was going to cry anytime soon.

Their parents were informed about the plan to have a small wedding. Arnav in fact suggested a civil wedding. After much discussion, it was decided that the Haldi and Mehendi would take place on one day followed by the civil wedding ceremony the day after. The ceremony was going to be held at the Singh's backyard, thanks to Saanvi's brilliant idea.

After Arnav and his family left, Kriti's parents simply gave her a hug and got back to their work. She was pulled aside by Saanvi, "I'm glad you said yes to him. He's a good guy."

Her best friend had called someone a good person and seemed so confident about it, all under three hours. "How do you know that?" She asked.

"Kriti, while having dinner, he kept passing the dishes around the table. He took note of the fact that you were running low on raita, he handed it to you without you having to ask. He refilled his father's glass with water. That speaks a lot about a man."

Saanvi was right. Arnav did do that. He was receptive to the people around him. He definitely knew how to take care of his loved ones. She was getting closer to believing that she made the right choice.

********************************

Hey Golgappe(Thats my new name for y'all  Hope you guys like it)

It is a YES! They're gonna be married. I can't wait to see how their story unfolds from here. Please do vote and comment. I love hearing your thoughts!

Also, how do you guys like the new cover? 

Do follow me on Instagram for spoilers and updates and feel free to DM me. Would love to talk to y'all. The link is in the bio.