Chapter 4 | 2012?

◈◉◈

◈◉◈

1982

It was today five years ago that Rey's mother was killed and five years today that Rey was brought to HYDRA. She was trained a weapon by the HYDRA's best of the best. Today was her final test and if she passed they would lend her to the experiment room where Zola would inject a serum that he had been preparing since the day Rey was brought to HYDRA. After many unsuccessful tests with animals, Zola finally succeeded and decided to test it on humans which for the first five times was unsuccessful but the sixth much to Rey's discontent succeeded.

The Hummingbird Serum (HBS) as Zola called it was made out of the DNA of chameleons, cuttlefish and tree frogs. If was serum was made of the DNA of a reptile, an amphibian and a fish why was it called the Hummingbird Serum? It was because Hummingbirds were quick and fast and changed directions rapidly much like Rey.

Rey had already completed a series of tests the first was a brain test; one where she was asked and answered all of them correctly. The second was a combat test with a weapon of choice, the third was a three-round hand-to-hand combat test with the man who trained her. She lost once but in the next two rounds, she gave it her all and won. If she did not they would whip her.

Finally, the fourth test was a mission test where she went undercover with the Winter Soldier to exterminate a S.H.I.L.E.D. agent who was getting suspicious of his fellow agents that HYDRA had planted in S.H.I.L.E.D. Now her fifth and final mission was another mission test but this time she would go alone to exterminate an agent of S.H.I.L.E.D. and the witnesses.

◈◉◈

Rey stood on the terrace of a building watching the agent that she had to exterminate. She saw the agent, his wife who was also a S.H.I.L.E.D. agent and their two sons one was eight and the other was three they were all smiling and laughing at the table while they ate their dinner. 

Rey closed her eyes tightly as tears welled up in them. She knew what was going to happen her orders were to exterminate the agent and the witnesses. What she did not want to do was to kill innocent kids. They reminded her of herself when her mother was killed by the men that she now worked for. Of course, she was compelled but she had her reasons. Rey put on gloves and walked back away from the edge. She broke into a run before jumping off the building.

 She broke into a run before jumping off the building