Stubbornness (12/17/23)

The three Becketts, Julia, and Eve headed home together.

Eve had been thinking hard as they walk. This is the thought that kept running in her mind:

Should she enter the Kooky Forest or not?

She mentally debated with herself whether or not she should go. After a moment, she finally reached a decision.

Alright, f*ck it. I am just going to go. Even though it's dangerous, The Kooky Forest pique my interest way too much, and healer Marick desperately needs to be saved. I owe him. She thought.

She can just turn back now and tell Orion, but she needs to get home to get the stuff she has to make herself be prepared.

"I decided to enter the Kooky Forest," she told the Becketts and Julia.

Her three students look at her, surprised that she made her decision.

Seeing her determined look, the fear the three kids had suddenly disappeared, replaced by motivation.

"I want to go too!" Kyle said unhesitantly.

"Me too!" Piped up Mason.

"I also want to go!" Said Julia.

"No you kids are not!" Jeremiah said sternly.

The kids confident expression immediately fell.

"Father, why can't we?! Eve has been training us for years and we have gotten stronger!" Kyle asked heatedly, being the main voice of the group.

"Yes, I have seen how strong you've all gotten, but you are all still children! Children should never be entering an area where anything can attack or worse, kill you! Me and your mother are against it." Jeremiah countered.

"Julia's parents also felt the same way," he added, making Julia gasped.

"Eve, we can enter the forest right? I think we are more than ready to take on anything there!" Kyle pleaded to her.

But Eve shook her head.

"No Kyle, I agree with Jeremiah. I don't think you guys are ready for this kind of task. None of you are not even teens yet. Plus, you guys are still unable to land a hit on me."

"But Eve-" Kyle tries to argue.

"No Kyle." Evelina cut him off.

"Why did you train us in the first place?!" Kyle said angrily to her.

At this point, everyone had stopped walking.

The atmosphere between the group became chilly.

Eve and Kyle stared at each other head on.

"Kyle," She began calmly, "I trained you all to build your character, to integrate the important values of martial arts to yourselves so that you can all grow up to become a person with a sound mind, to have great moral integrity and responsibility."

"Values...? I believe you told us about those values before..."

"And what are they Kyle?"

Kyle had a thoughtful, trying to remember the values taught to him.

"Respect, confidence, patience, and self-discipline."

"Yes, that's right." Eve confirmed.

"The training was never for you guys to ever undertake an extreme task like this."

"But why is it that you can go?" Asked Kyle.

"I have the same thought," piped up Jeremiah, " Obviously Julia is a child and should not go, Eve you are already an adult but..." he trailed off, knowing what he is about to say next will likely offend her.

"Because I'm a woman," Eve deadpanned.

Jeremiah's silence confirms that was what he was about to it.

Eve internally sighs.

It is the medieval mindset. That will be hard to change.

"Look Jeremiah, I get it. This is how this society thinks, which I believe needs to change. But the main reason why I decided to enter the Kooky Forest is to save healer Marick. He saved my life when I first came to this village. I owe him for that." She told him.

Jeremiah opened his mouth again for another argument, but Eve stops him.

"Don't try to change my mind Jeremiah. I understand you meant well, but I can handle myself," she said with finalty.

Realizing that Eve cannot be swayed from this, Jeremiah didn't say another word.

"So Kyle, Mason, and Julia you will not go into the Kooky Forest, understand? It is highly dangerous and you guys are not ready for it," Eve addressed her students.

Her three students nodded at her, saying "Yes Sensei" in a crestfallen tone of voice.

When Eve turn her face away from them, she didn't notice a glint of stubbornness in the eyes of her students.

They walk the rest of the way home in silence.

Note: Next Chapter will be called The Kooky Forest.