Camping (12/17/23)

Once Eve made sure that the creature is dead, she immediately jumped off the corpse and rushed towards Julia's still prone form.

"Zeke! Julia is in critical condition! Come over and help!" She yelled over her shoulder at the older Farling brother as she ran to check over the girl.

"Right!" Zeke, followed after her as well as the other kids and adults in the vicinity.

Zeke and Eve kneeled over the unconscious girl on the ground. The others surround them with their bodies leaning forward, worry painting their expressions and kept themselves silent.

"What is wrong with her?" Asked Zeke towards Eve.

"Her breathing is still unstable."

"She needs to be in a more comfortable position."

"What do you want me to do?" Eve asked Zeke with a hint of desperation, eyes not turning away from Julia's seemingly sleeping face.

"Lay her body on your lap gently. I have a potion that will help release the airways in her body and heal any internal injuries." Zeke began to take out a purple potion from his pouch and uncapped the bottle. Eve did what he told.

"I am going to pry her mouth open so that she can sip from the bottle." He carefully held Julia's jaw to pry her mouth open, then tips the bottle to get the liquid sliding in. After Zeke is done, he puts the empty bottle back in his pouch.

"Is Julia going to be okay?" Said Kyle with a look of anxiousness.

"She will." Said Eve with conviction without looking up.

"So what are we going to do now?" Asked Melody.

Jon had straightened up from leaning over to stand. He scopes the area for any sight of more danger before he made a decision.

"I think it's best if we not continue moving on for now until Julia wakes up. It will be dark soon. We should set up camp." He said.
-----------------------------------------------------------

It was now night time. The group had found an area to set up camp. They now sat on the ground surrounding a bonfire. Julia was laid on a mat near them.

Right now, they are eating some cooked rabbits and squirrels. It is unseasoned, so they would have to make do with the bland taste.

Well, Eve can taste the blandness, the others are likely used to it. Maybe as they continue on their journey through this forest, she can foliage for something to season their next meals.

No one made a sound as they kept themselves busy with eating. Only the sounds of crickets was heard.

"Eve...I think you have something to explain to us." Jon was the first to break the comfortable silence.

"Explain?" She repeated his word after gulping the last of her rabbit meat. She refused to eat squirrels.

"Yes. How is it that you and the kids know how to wield swords? How can you guys fight so well?" Jon was still in disbelief over that.

Kyle and Mason, who sat next to each other holding a stick of roasted meat nervously glanced at each other.

Zeke and Melody had stopped eating to listen attentively to the conversation.

Eve gave a sigh and chucked the stick away.

"I actually do know how to fight. The techniques I have is called martial arts. I have been teaching the kids my skills for the past 3 years." Eve admitted. Better to tell them now than later.

"Martial arts? I have never heard of it." Questioned Jon with a raised eyebrow.

"Me either," said Zeke and Melody simultaneously.

"You were so strong that you chopped off its limbs with one slice!" Said Melody.

"The way you fought that monster seems out of this world!" Added Zeke.

Zeke's statement made Eve jolt into attention.

Zeke is unknowingly so close to the truth!

"Well, martial arts are the different types of combat practices for self defense." She started to elaborate.

"And what are those types?" Continued Jon.

"Well there are many types like Kung-Fu, Karate, Taekwondo...too many to list."

"I have never heard any of these at all. And...you know this yourself or someone taught you?" Jon said with a look of suspicion.

"I had a master who taught me before I was outcasted." Eve is basically telling the same lie she did to Jeremiah.

"Uh huh. Never heard of a martial arts master in the empire. Is that person famous?" Jon doesn't seem convinced.

"...He is a relative from my previous life before I was outcasted." Can Jon stop playing 20 questions with her?!

"Why are you teaching the kids this martial arts?"

"Their parents wanted me to help build their character developments and have them learn to defend themselves." She answered immediately. Is he done yet?!

Fortunately, Jon has stopped prying.

What a relief. Eve thought. If he keep asking me any further I might accidentally reveal who I actually am. I think I convinced him and the others enough.

Little did Eve knows, Jon still doesn't believe her. But he hope that someday she will eventually tell him the truth.

The group became silent again.

Suddenly, many small greenish-yellow glowing lights appear in the night air.

"What the-" Kyle tried to swat some of those small glowing lights away from his face.

"Kyle, those are fireflies! Just leave them alone!" Jon said.

"But these things are bothering me!"

"That is so cool!" Mason said in awe, looking around to watch the flying glowing bugs.

One of the fireflies landed on Kyle's nose. With furrowed eyebrows, Kyle was about to hit it away when the insect was suddenly swiped away from him before it flies off.

Eve had quickly caught the firefly before Kyle's eyes.

With two off the roasting sticks.

Using the roasting sticks as chopsticks, she caught the firefly on Kyle's nose before it flew away.

"H-how d-did you do that! You never taught us that!" Kyle stuttered with widen eyes.

"Yes! Will you teach us that too?" Mason asked in excitement.

The Farling brothers and Melody saw Eve's actions in amazement.

"I don't think I should tell you." Said Evelina without looking at him, with a tone of voice unusually devoid of emotion, surprising the Beckett boys, and even the other adults.

"After all, you guys didn't listen to me and decided to follow us into this dangerous forest. Maybe I should consider stopping the training altogether." Eve then released the firefly.

She then finally faced the Beckett boys.

Seeing her expression towards them, the boys shivered and gulped in fear.

They have never seen Eve give them an expression like that!

It made them regret entering the Kooky Forest!

They messed up.

"Once Julia wakes up, I would like to talk to you all about your disobedience."

Jon, Zeke, and Melody gave a glance at each other, sensing the change in the atmosphere.

Whatever expression Eve showed the boys, it made the other adults pity them.

Note: I didn't change her name yet because I am still waiting for more comments. You can probably guess Evelina's feeling. I know they are kids but they should learn their mistakes. I will do another update tomorrow.