FJ 8

Flip believed he saw a familiar car parked on the other side of the road as he was getting out of the car. However, he hurried inside their home as his phone continued to ring due to his father's call.

He saw his papa's guests as soon as he walked in and made his way straight to their dining area. "Bads, you're late again," Kent exclaimed right away.

Giving his father a peck on the cheek, Flip remarked, "Thanks sa magandang pagwelcome, pa."

Their guests were even more impressed by him because of his bond with his papa. "Philip! You grew up well ha," his uncle Noah exclaimed as he greet him. "I remember when your dad brought you to our house; ang liit mo pa at sobrang kulit," he said.

"Noah, lumaki lang 'yan pero ubod pa rin ng kulit," Kent replied.

Noah's daughter chuckled and asked, "Tito Kent, why bads po ang tawag mo kay Philip?"

In response, Kent said, "Kasi badi—" but his son nudged him. He went on, "Buddy. We treat each other like buddies."

"Sweet! By the way, hi, Carter. I'm Jade," she remarked while extending her hand.

And somehow, Flip got frozen in his place. It definitely rang a bell. He didn't quite grasp what Justice meant earlier, but this time, it's crystal clear. No, it's jade clear.

As they shake hands, he is beaming with pleasure. "Ah, Philip na lang."

Grinning uncontrollably, he couldn't help but believe that Justice was jealous of Jade. Not until he thought back to how Justice had found out.

He was left alone with Jade while his papa and uncle were conversing. Like those he had already met before, he felt as if Jade were just one of them—someone he doesn't want to get tied to in the long run.

Jade seems okay, but still does not like how he perceives Justice. While listening to Jade's stories, he heard their bathroom door creak as if someone had pulled it open. "Sorry po, I enjoyed our dinner earlier so much. Sumama tuloy tiyan ko," someone said from the same direction.

A very familiar face met his gaze as he turned around. The man said, "Apologies, sir Carter. I haven't introduced myself properly yet. I'm Jade's cousin, Isaac."

And at that point, Flip knew how Justice found out about Jade.

"Like what I've been telling you, nasiraan kami sa daan. Luckily, Isaac's just around the resto near the shore," Noah explained.

"Oh, Bads was just there too," Kent responded. "Have you met?" he asked.

"Ah, pa, I know Isaac. He's a friend from modeling," Flip replied.

"Oh, good!" Noah said. "Hindi na pala kayo mahihirapan ni Jade. May mutuals na kayo," he added.

"Mukha ngang goods naman sila ni Bads. Sa iba wala pang ten minutes gusto na umuwi nung girl," Kent told Noah, recalling Flip's previous experiences with this kind of arrangement.

"Kung ako lang, I want them to get to know each other first. Friendship is a good foundation of a relationship, like you and your husband. Pero for Felipe, we don't have much time," Noah responded. "How is he, by the way?" he asked.

"Don't worry, Flip still has a few months to go before he graduates. That will give them enough time to know each other," Kent said while stroking his son's back and tried not to cry.

Flip responded on his father's behalf, saying, "Okay naman si dad, uncle. Nowhere near getting better, but he's holding on."

"I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure it will get harder as time goes on. But for Felipe, hold on tight. I'll try to be of assistance. Let us grant his wishes," Noah said.

Flip excused himself, saying, "Labas lang po ako saglit." There were moments when he was unable to hide his frailty, despite his desire to display his strength for his papa.

"I'll accompany him," remarked Isaac.

As Isaac watched, Flip was playing with the grass he was seated on in the garden. He walked over and tapped his friend on the head. They didn't exchange words. They sat there in silence.

Flip decided to break the stillness after ten minutes. He fidgeted and said, "Tange, dre. Alis ka na kaya? Hindi ako makapagdrama, nakakahiya."

With a chuckle, Isaac tapped his friend on the shoulder. "I won't judge you," he continued, adding, "I didn't know about your dad."

Flip then began to lower his walls at that point. He sobbed right there on Isaac's shoulder. Isaac heard his struggles through his tears, even though Flip remained silent.

After Flip calmed down a little, Isaac asked, "Should I tell Just about this?"

Flip shook his head and said, "Tama si uncle Noah, fulfilling dad's wishes is the least thing we can do."

"Ayaw ko lang dati, kasi if I do those, parang tinatanggap ko na lang na mawawala na nga talaga si dad. But now, I see, he's not getting any better. I'm losing time to make him proud," he added.

Isaac once more tapped his friend's head and asked, "Aren't there any other ways to make him proud?"

Flip shrugged his shoulders. He paused and heaved a sigh before saying, "I just hope he wakes up so that I can show him the things I'm proud of. Maybe, by then, maging proud din siya sa mga 'yon."

"And then you'll fight for Justice?" Isaac asked.

He answered, "Justice is what love looks like."

"—in public. By Dr. Cornel West, right?" Jade interrupted them. She sat down next to them and inquired, "Are you talking about law? Politics?"

"Yeah, absolutely," Isaac answered. "Flip's suddenly interested sa course ko," he lied.

"Really? That's nice ha. But it's a postgrad degree na, Carter. Hindi na 'yan counted as another year mo sa university," she responded.

"I know, hindi ko naman na balak tumakas pa," Flip answered.

"Great! I'll make you like me. Don't worry, you're in good hands naman," she replied. She concluded, saying, "And one more thing, let's make it official on social media," before walking away.

"I apologize as early as now, Flip. Mabait naman si Jade, you can work things out with a good amount of communication," Isaac replied. He questioned, "But wife ba talaga kailangan?"

With a downcast expression, he replied, "Long story, bro. Pero, oo."

However, my Justice will always be how and what love looks like.