FJ 27

Javier and Isaac exclaimed, "Congratulations, Sam and Just!" when Justice and Samuel, both wearing their graduation togas, arrived at their seats.

Justice shouted, "Magna! Magna-nine to ten years na lang, I'll be the best surgeon in town na!" while flashing his medal.

Squeezing his friend tightly, Samuel exclaimed, "Dasurb malala, bestie! Mamimiss kita."

"Hindi ako mawawala sa special events ng buhay niyong dalawa," Justice assured the couple.

In an instant, it became their final moment together, as Jav and Just had left for Canada and Samuel had returned to his home province. Isaac was left to complete law school by himself in the city.

One triumph led to another after everything they'd been through.

"Congratulations, Dr. Diablo! Postgrad internship and boards na lang," Isaac remarked as he and Samuel arrived late for their friend's graduation ceremony.

Samuel gave Jav a bouquet of red roses and added, "We're so proud of you, Jav." As Javier accepted the roses and thought about his beloved Ligaya, tears welled up in his eyes.

"She'd be proud of you too, Dr. Cullen," Justice said, giving him a tight embrace.

As they were celebrating and having a dinner together, Isaac asked the two, "How's sophomore year so far?"

"Okay naman. Clinical clerkship na next, nakaka-excite," Justice answered.

Clinging to his fiancée, Sam replied, "Same, lalo na I'll be staying sa hospi nila Jav. So more time to see you sa city."

"Hanggang dito ba naman, maharot pa rin kayo," Diab said.

Ice questioned Diab, "Ikaw ba, kailan ka mag-aasawa?"

"No one would ever come close to this," he said with a laugh, gesturing to Justice.

Justice had no time to respond or refute as Jav continued, "Siya lang," and his finger landed on the roses that were sitting on Just's lap.

"Alright, doc. You had enough liquor already," Justice said, assisting Javier to get up. "Uwi ko muna 'to. You could stay with us if you want. Naprepare ko na rin naman 'yong guest room sa bahay ni Jav," he said to the couple.

Justice changed his clothing and looked after his friend when they got home. Samuel arrived to assist him. Sam asked, "Has he been like this ever since you moved here?"

Justice nodded and pointed to Jav's two rose tattoos that had grown to four, saying, "There were days that he'd gone missing. Come back with more roses."

Sam said, "Are those days in September?" and Just nodded in response. "It'll be September again in a few months," he said.

"It's how he copes, so we have to let him be," Just responded. "But I've been thinking, should we all accompany him every August and September?"

"Good idea. I like celebrating our friendship. To be honest, I still treat myself to ice cream every 22nd of August," Samuel replied.

"I'm with you," Isaac said as he joined them and stood at the door. "And Flip too, since Jav met him first on the 21st of August," he said.

Hearing Flip's name, Justice's brows wrinkled. He heard Sam ask, "Sigurado pa rin ba?"

Justice replied, rolling his eyes, "Handa na ba?"

"Ayon lang, konti pa," Sam remarked with humor.

"One day, we'll be able to celebrate it altogether," Ice said.

Jav began to whisper, "Athena," in his sleep, which shocked them.

Justice leaned in and stroked Javier's head. Samuel observed how their relationship had grown deeper over time. "What if they are really meant to be together?" he whispered to Isaac.

"It would break our Liptice hearts so bad," said Sam.

Isaac responded, "Mahal, you're not getting the concept. Justice could never veer off course like that; consider how long it took him to move on from me. And Javier is not allowing himself to be able to move on from Athena."

"Boastful ka, mahal. Wala naman kasing masyadong bonding si Just and Thirdy, unlike them," Samuel replied.

"It's never about how long you've been together, mahal. It's about how much you could offer that person—not in terms of material things nor money. Flip's willing to spend his now building on Just's future, kahit walang kasiguraduhang may mahihintay pa siya."

"And Javier has dedicated his entire life to Justice, both now and in the future," Samuel stated.

"Yes, Javier may have spent his whole life with Just. But is he really there? Do you know where his heart is? Justice will always be in the shadow of someone else if he would have chosen him."

"Athena," once more, Javier murmured her name.

Isaac remarked, "See? It has always been her," and Samuel nodded.

"You know I could hear you from here, right?" Justice said as he approached them. "Never once would I attempt to take Javier away from Athena. True, I do love him, but not in that sense."

"You love each other as brothers; we get it. Sorry if we seemed like we were talking over your head," Samuel said.

"Hey, no worries. It's good that we have cleared the air about that matter," Justice replied.

With a curious tone, Ice questioned, "So, does that mean you're still sigurado kay Flip?"

"Yes. Sigurado," Just replied.

Following that evening, Sam and Ice took a plane back to their homes, and they all knew it would be a while before they could all cross paths again.

That made Justice and Javier thrilled as they paid Samuel and Ice a visit to celebrate their friendship as August arrived, just as arranged. Samuel greeted them, "Welcome home!"

"It feels nice to be back here," Javier remarked. "Where's Flip? Akala ko pumayag siyang sumama?"

The mere prospect of seeing Flip again after a few years had Justice's ass shaking with anxiety.

Sam mentioned something like, "He couldn't come. May emergency raw." to them.

Justice exhaled, uncertain if it was a sigh of relief or disillusionment. Isaac went on, "He'll try to get back here, pero mukhang malabo. He's in the city."

"No, it's okay. Tell him to focus on his emergency. There will always be next time," Javier said.

"Unless Justice wants him here right now," he added.

Justice widened his eyes and said, "He's not obliged to."

"So, gusto mo nga?" Samuel teased Justice, making his cheeks flush.