FJ 18

It has been two weeks since Justice lost his Lolo. And not even once did he see any trace of Philip's presence. Surviving those weeks without the one he needed most felt like his heart had been torn into bits.

Justice had gone into his Lolo's room in his house for the first time in two years. With Javier and Samuel by his side, they all took out Lolo's belongings.

Outside of his house were his brother Kodi and their parents, waiting to have their Lolo's things loaded on the truck before they once again left Justice alone.

After successfully loading everything up, Justice sat on his swing and just let his feet sway him. Kodi went up to him and said, "Why don't you come home with us?"

Justice shook his head and said, "Home shouldn't be suffocating, diko." without glancing.

Kodi gave him a pat on the head and said, "I'll let JC accompany you here then. Tell him I'm grateful for his presence and for being a great partner to you," before leaving.

Justice called Philip repeatedly after a time, but none of his calls were answered. Jav handed him a cup of coffee and asked, "Tinatawagan mo pa rin?"

"Hindi ko rin talaga ma-contact, Just. Sorry, I don't know where he went," Samuel said as he walked over them. "Kagagaling lang din daw ni Ice sa bahay nila pero wala raw tao. Ice even asked Jade, pero clueless din sila," he continued.

"Ayos lang. Thank you, guys," Justice responded and went back inside his house.

As night fell, Javier had the chance to speak with Justice about something serious. He went on to explain, "My family is sending me away earlier than expected. Should we file for divorce na?"

Justice was still in a daze over nothing. Javier held Just's hands in an attempt to get his attention. "I know this was all of a sudden. You're still healing. But we do not have much time," he continued.

"Why are you all suddenly leaving me?" Justice asked, wiping his tears away. "Kailangan ba talagang magsabay-sabay kayo?" he went on to say.

Javier felt a prick in his heart as he watched his normally cheerful friend break down in tears. He shook his head and said, "Sama ka sakin."

"I mean, after we divorce, you'll be eligible for my family's scholarship to study medicine in Canada. We could go together," he added.

Jav's family only desired their separation after three years for this sole reason. Not because they despise Justice; in fact, the Lees have always liked Justice due to his unwavering determination to fulfill his dreams.

Their goal was to help him become a surgeon by contributing to his education. They cannot, however, allow a family member to receive the scholarship due to their family constitution. His marriage with Javier was causing problems in the grant, so before he could enter in medical school, they had to get separated.

"Why am I only hearing this now? Matagal mo na ba 'tong alam?" Justice asked Jav.

Jav replied, "No. I just learned about it from them. I had the distinct impression that they were disappointed with our marriage and wished it would end quickly."

Justice nodded at Javier and said, "If so, please give me a week to think it over. Prior to doing anything else, I still need to finish my pre-med course."

Justice let Jav use his room when they went to bed, while he opted to sleep in his Lolo's room. Upon looking for a comfortable position to sleep in, his eyes spotted an envelope. He sprang to his feet to grab it.

Looking through the pictures inside, he remembered that day he'd gone to the hospital to see Philip's dad. The night before he had the photos printed, Javier informed him that Felipe had been admitted to their hospital.

After Flip passed out on the veranda from Justice's kiss, it was Javier who assisted Justice in carrying him inside. Additionally, Javier told Justice everything he knew about Felipe's condition that same evening.

Justice went over to Flip's dad to show him pictures of his son, Philip, who's doing great as a model and a friend to everyone. He hoped Felipe would hear his stories, even though he knew he wouldn't see the pictures.

Justice also learned that day that the person he had cut with the bread knife had actually been Flip's dad. He could see the scar left on his arm—the exact spot where he had cut the stranger by accident.

That struck him as if fate was deceiving them.

Justice discovered some pictures were missing after scanning through. His wedding photos with Javier weren't there. With haste, he stood up again and looked around.

Peering at the door, Javier asked, "What's happening?" He said, "I can hear you from the other room," as he entered.

"The pictures from our wedding are gone. I recall putting them alongside these," Justice said in a panicking voice, continuing to search for them.

With a worried tone, Javier questioned, "Are you sure they were in there?"

"Yes, why?" he responded.

Javier's breathing evidently became deep as he said, "Flip handed me this envelope before he vanished on that day." He gulped and continued, "Could it be?"

Justice said, "No." With an even more terrified tone, he continued, "He can't see it. I haven't explained it to him yet."

In the dead of night, Javier called Samuel to ask him to come over and go to Justice's house. Javier hurried to their hospital to look for Philip as soon as Sam arrived.

He headed straight to his mother's office to find out which hospital Felipe had been moved to by the Carters. Once he had what he needed, he drove quickly to that hospital, where he was fortunate to find Flip.

He called out, "Flip!" but the younger sprinted away from him. They eventually came to a dead end after they had been running for a while. With Jav's hands clutching his knees and a gasping for breath, he said, "You know, running in hospitals is not allowed."

"Dre, wag muna ngayon," Flip responded. Breathing heavily, he added, "Magulo pa isip ko, baka masuntok kita," clenching his lower abdomen.

"Sasaluhin ko lahat," Javier said, edging closer to Philip.

Philip pulled Jav by the collar, raised his fist, and clenched it tight as if he was trying not to lose control.

Javier held up his wedding ring and said, "Don't let him suffer more. Justice has nothing to do with this."

And in that instant, Flip's fist struck Jav in the face, giving him a copper taste in his mouth as he stumble.