FJ 26

Stealing glances from one another, the two stayed in the gazebo. As they attempted to converse, a feeling of awkwardness enveloped them.

Justice asked, a little nervously, "H-how's your dad?" to start their chat.

In a brief reply, Flip said, "He's doing better."

Indecisive about what to say next, Justice nodded. He heard Flip go on, "He knew you went to see him. And I got my freedom back because of what you did."

"Freedom," Justice repeated. "It suits you," he added.

Philip softly remarked, "Uh, about that. Have you been eating well?" his lips curving slightly.

Just grinned and said, "I knew it. Thanks, Freedom. But you don't have to do it anymore."

Justice said, his smile gradually disappearing, "I knew you'd be here, but I didn't expect to see you this soon."

Flip asked, "How?" and continued, seeming puzzled. "If you knew all along, why are you here? Hindi ka ba galit?"

He responded immediately, "For closure, I would just like to see you once more. Like you, I want to be free of all the things that confine me."

"Pero, Just. Saglit," Flip said, tears starting to well up in his eyes. And as tears streamed down his face, he questioned, "Hindi ka na ba sigurado sa atin?"

"Paano ko ilalaban kung ikaw mismo, hindi sigurado? I don't even know if you really did like me," Justice said, turning back to hide his tears from Flip.

"It ain't never a question, Justice; I want you. Sigurado ako," Flip retorted, taking Justice by the hand. "I will beg on my knees; just please don't do this," he stated.

Justice stopped him. "Tama na, Flip. Those are empty words."

"I'm also here to apologize for kissing you without consent; I just assumed we're on the same page. And to also apologize for taking a chance on us during this lifetime," Just added.

"Kaya kahit saglit lang, let's pretend we're okay for our friends," Justice said.

"No," Flip replied. He added, "Kahit gaano pa katagal, hihintayin kita. Let me have you the hard way."

"Empty—," Justice was cut off.

"Empty words for now until I prove it to you," Flip answered.

"Prove it only when you're ready. You can wait as long as you can, but leave if you have to," Justice said. "I have to go," he continued.

But Gea passed by just in time for Justice to go. "Gea, good to see you here," Just greeted.

Flip, flanked by Mav, watched them go. "Kapit lang, tol. Malayo sa bituka," Mav said.

Flip and Just's conversation had clearly not gone well as they all sat down to dinner. Both seats next to Just and Gea were empty as Flip and Mav arrived. Flip took a seat immediately next to Gea, leaving Mav with no choice but to sit next to Justice.

As they continued to enjoy their dinner, Isaac got up, looking a bit tensed but carrying on, saying, "Good evening, everyone. As we all gather here, and as you all know..." He cleared his throat before continuing, "Sammy, if loving you is a crime, then I'm looking at a life sentence."

He went on, "Saint Samuel Ajero, right in front of your parents and both of our lifelong friends, I want to ask you... will you spend your lifetime imprisoned with me?"

Isaac went down on one knee, facing Samuel—who is now in tears, covering his mouth as he was definitely surprised to see the ring Ice had taken out of his pocket.

Sam glanced around him, seeing his parents in tears as well, while Justice had a big smile on his face and baring his gums. Flip and Mav, two of his childhood friends, appeared excited. Additionally, the two Lees exuded pride.

He answered, "Your honor, yes!"

Justice exclaimed, "Congratulations!" and brought Isaac the fragrant bouquet of sunny yellow dahlias for Samuel.

At the same time, Flip and Mav popped the confetti. While Javier and Gea brought the cake for the couple.

They all surrounded the recently engaged pair as Javier whispered to Justice, the one standing next to him, "Something we haven't experienced. Now that we have a chance all over again, don't waste it. With your future partner, Justice, find happiness and lead the life you deserve."

Philip and Gea, on the other hand, are conversing as well. "Last week, Justice and I spoke," muttered Gea.

Flip asked, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Kasi I know you won't like it. But he deserves peace of mind. He thought we were together, for fuck's sake," Gea replied.

"Well, he got the peace of mind he needed. He's already asked me to stop."

"I'm sorry, Carter. But it's for the best. You're not ready yet. You both deserve better versions of yourselves," Gea said, tapping Flip's shoulder.

After a while, Mav remarked, "Salamat sa pag-invite. Namiss ko 'tong si Saint. See you around! Congrats ulit."

Gea said to Sam, "It truly makes me happy to see you both content. Thank you for having me witness this kind of love from the both of you. But just for your peace of mind, did you know why Nase and I split up?"

"Oh, come on, Gea!" Isaac exclaimed. He looked at Sam's expression and had no choice but to expose himself. "Fine. You were with Justice when I met you as a sophomore in college. And as soon as I set eyes on you, I sensed something different in myself. I came to confirm something when I got to know you months ago. And the rest is history."

Javier yelled, "Damn revelation!" He teased, "I like girls no more."

"Congratulations, bespal! Wedding invitation na next ha?" Flip said.

To which Samuel said, "Of course, but MD muna bago 'yan."

With the four remaining at the house, Flip, Gea, and Mav departed together. "Finally, a ring that I like," declared Samuel, who was fixated on his ring.

"Ang corny ni Attorney kanina," Justice commented.

Ice replied, "Can't say pick-up lines in front of Sammy's parents."

"Gago, may baon ka pang iba? Parinig kami," Javier responded.

Glancing at his fiancée, Ice remarked, "As a good lawyer, I have always liked to be on top. Would you like an evidence?"

Winking, Samuel said, "Naughty!"

Javier exclaimed, "Ah, potangina! Get a room!"

They did, in fact, moved to a separate room, leaving Javier and Justice in it.

"How are you and Flip?" Javier inquired.

Jav had to straighten up on his seat when Just said, "I shoved him away."

"What? Do you really mean it, though?" he questioned.

Justice looked at him and said, "Freedom looks good on him. He shouldn't confine himself to me. Jav, I won't be back for over five years. It would be unjust for him."

"You really do love him, don't you?" Jav asked.

"Yes. Sigurado."