FJ 9

A week has passed since Justice saw Flip's post about his engagement, which is why his mock boards didn't turn out that well.

He was sitting on a bleacher just watching his friend, Javier, play basketball with his team against Isaac's.

"Medicine versus law school ba 'to? Ang popogi ng mga captain ball," a group of junior students asked as they filed into the gym, fixing their gazes on Jav and Ice.

Justice shook his head, grinning. He could hear them sitting right behind him and even overheard them fangirling to his friends.

One of the juniors questioned, "Haven't you heard? They both liked the same girl?"

Another one of them asked, "Di ba best friends sila niyan? So, anong nangyari?"

Justice was finding what he was hearing amusing. He knew every detail about their questions. He wanted to join in their discussion but he lacked the energy to do so.

Justice looked around and spotted the girl wearing a nursing ID lace, said, "I heard Javier got the girl and Isaac had Gea, but naghiwalay rin both couple because of a third party."

In Justice's head, he's saying, "No. No third party involved. Only Justice."

His guilt over what had happened to Javier and Athena two years prior returned to him. Perhaps they would still be together today if the wedding had not gone through. Then he thought of Flip's soon-to-be wedding, and he couldn't shake the weight. Not that his internship is doing much better.

The sound of the junior students squeaking brought him back to reality. "Papalapit sila sa atin!"

"Congrats, Javier!"

"Isaac! So pogi!"

Javier replied, "Uy, thanks." Isaac just looked at them, slightly lowering his head.

When the two captain balls approach Justice, the students whispered, "Hindi pala sa atin."

"Have you seen my last shot? Winning tres 'yon," Jav held up three fingers and bragged to Justice. Justice recalls Thirdy, though, and he only blinks twice in response.

"Si lutang naman oh! Akala ko ba manonood ka to clear your head?" Javier said as Justice handed them their energy drinks.

"Thanks," Isaac said. "Obviously, it's not working. Come on, let's eat," he added, trying to lift Just's mood.

Justice answered, "Kayo na lang. Uuwi na rin ako." He dropped his belongings as he got up and turned to retrieve them.

Another squeak from the junior students reached his ears, "Hala! Kuya Cartel? Pwede po papicture?"

He glanced over her and noticed that she had a pharmacy lace on. With a smile, he came over to take a picture. "Thank you, kuya! Crush na crush ka ng buong block namin," she said.

Justice thanked them, bowing his head repeatedly, until he left the court. "Dre, buhatin mo nga bag ni Hustisya," Javier instructed Ice, making Ice squint his eyes. "Dali na, ubos na social battery nito. Bubuhatin ko na sa likod ko," Jav persisted.

Ice answered, "Here, hold our things. Ako na bubuhat," and without even asking Justice, he quickly lifted him up onto his back.

Javier grumbled, "Parang tangek naman," as he balanced everything on both of his shoulders. He remarked, "Hustisya wag ka magulo, malalaglag ka," upon witnessing Justice attempt to get off Ice's back.

When his friends dragged him into a cafe to eat, Justice didn't even have the strength to stop them. The cafe by the seaside has been their go-to spot for the past week. Just the three of them.

With raised eyebrows, Javier inquired, "Nomi night ba ngayon?"

"Tanga! Well's not here to drive us home," Justice remarked.

Javier kept teasing him, "Si tampo. Selos ka sa kanila ni Flip 'no?"

"Diab, it's not the right time for—" Isaac was cut off.

"Ano naman kung lagi sila magkasama? Hindi ko naman gusto si Flip. Nagwapuhan lang," Justice replied.

Javier answered, "Sinabi ko bang kay Sam ka nagseselos?" adding, "I meant selos ka kasi mukhang naaagaw ni bespal ang bestie mo."

"Buti pa 'ko sa besbud ko, walang kaagaw," Javier continued, encircling Ice with his arms.

Isaac retorted, pulling away from him, "Shut up, Diablo."

"Walang kaagaw, pero nag-agawan kay Athena?" Justice shot back.

"Ay si gagi pala 'to," Jav said. Adding in a serious tone, "I told you not to mention her anymore."

"Why not? Diba nga if not for me, kayo pa rin ngayon?" Justice responded.

"Justice, please," Javier said. "Not in front of Ice," he added.

"It's okay. I'm here for this drama," Isaac responded.

After hearing that, Justice lowered his head and kept his mouth shut. His impulsiveness overtook him again. He was on the verge of telling Isaac the darkest secret between himself and Javier.

Isaac spoke again after a brief period of silence, asking, "Tapos na ba ang away mag-asawa?"

Javier's eyes widen in surprise, as does Justice's. "Wait, dre. Paanong?"

"You forgot I'm studying law and that I'm friends with your diko, Justice," he responded.

Justice worriedly asked, "What did diko tell you?"

"That you guys suddenly decided to get married two years ago in Canada," he replied.

Javier turned to ask, "How long did you know about this? Bakit hindi mo sinabi?"

"Exactly two years ago, a week after your wedding. Do you wanna know what else I found out?" Isaac replied.

Trying to understand what's going on, neither of the two has responded and has remained silent. Justice began to wonder who else knew everything.

"Don't worry, guys, I'm with you," Isaac assured them. "I do, however, just have a few inquiries. Until when are you guys going to keep this marriage?"

"Promise us, you won't tell anyone, especially our families," Justice said.

Isaac nodded and said, "I'm here to help you out. Diab, I got you both."

"Oo na, dre. Three years ang contract namin. Huling taon na 'to," Javier answered.

"Am I allowed to know why? And why you even started it? Para alam ko how to help you guys," Isaac asked.

Justice was motioned to respond by Javier. Although Justice was still a little hesitant, it was too late to tell Ice otherwise. He replied, "It's for Lolo. He's been in a coma for two years now. Without him, our business essentially collapsed, costing us money. Jav learned about it and is eager to help."

"My family wanted me to stay in Canada for good. I don't want to get separated from Athena. I had to inform them that I am married to Justice and that, until Lolo wakes up, he needed me by his side during his darkest moments," Javier stated.

"They believed our absurd reason but wanted me to leave Justice and stop funding Lolo's treatment after three years," he stated.