FJ 15

It was peaceful night in Justice's bedroom, except that he was not there. His friends Ice and Well were the ones savoring the warmth and coziness of his bed.

Justice could only stammer a "Tss" while attempting to settle into the couch. He had already tossed about a few times without finding the ideal sleeping position.

"Here, take this." Justice looked at him with confusion. Still, he accepted the pillow Flip held out to him. With only his lone cushion and his comforter, Flip was lying on the ground.

Beside Flip was Jav, who was already sound asleep. If Justice lives alone, his house will have ample space for him. It contains two bedrooms, but he never really allowed anyone to enter the other unoccupied room. He doesn't want anyone else to sleep in the room that was presumably reserved for his Lolo.

Flip got up and moved toward the dining room, drawing Just's attention. He followed him and tapped his shoulder. Flip, who's making his coffee, got startled and almost spilled the hot water.

"Sorry," Justice said, making Flip shake his head.

Flip offered him the coffee he had just brewed and got him another cup, saying, "No worries. Why are you still awake?"

Justice grinned, grateful for every little thing that Flip had done for him. "Sanay ako sa bed," he answered.

Flip listened intently and nodded. He gestured to his Lolo's room and said, "Why don't you sleep in there?"

With a shake of his head, the younger one remarked, "Kay Lolo lang 'yon."

"I see. Mind if I ask, I saw your swing outside. It's the same with your throwback photos, pero parang different place. Tama ba?"

Even with only the throwback pictures that Just had provided Flip, it seemed as though Flip had known him for a long time. He gives him his full attention. Just complimented him, "Grabe, ang keen mo sa details," as they sipped coffee.

"Yes, before I went to college, I did move out. I had always felt alone, though, even in our home. Lolo follows me around, for this reason. Even here, kasi I'm not on good terms with my parents," Justice responded.

Flip was astounded by Justice's ease in telling him these stories. Something he was currently unable to even do to anyone.

"That swing holds so much memory of my kuya kaya dinala ko rito," he went on to say.

"Kodi?" Philip inquired, causing Justice to shake his head.

"My other brother, who already left the world," he replied casually, as if it didn't hurt him to remember.

"I shouldn't have asked, sorry," Flip said.

"Wala 'yon. Kuya thought me to be tough; lagi siyang wala and ayaw niyang malungkot ako when he's gone," Justice said. "Successor siya ni Lolo, but then his health betrayed him; he left me and diko with so much responsibility sa business. Kaya nagalit ang parents ko when I followed the path I really wanted," he continued.

"Kaya ka umalis sa inyo?" Flip asked, to which he nodded as a response. "Where's your Lolo then?" he added, asking.

"Nagpapagaling pa," was his succinct response. "Thanks pala sa pagayos ng ilaw sa harap ha? I don't usually do a lot here; I just come here to sleep. Minsan kay Well din ako umuuwi," he added.

"Nabanggit nga niya, you both take turns sa uuwian. Saint told me housemates kayo ni Diab," Flip responded.

"He stays here while Lolo's still not okay," Justice responded. "Only when he's not busy, kasi he'll do the cooking for me, and alagain talaga ako. Madalas sa bahay rin nila siya umuuwi," he added, chuckling.

"If that's so, sinong nagluluto para sayo if he's not here?" Flip asked.

"Ang iingay niyo naman, utang na loob," Javier spoke, still yawning, as he approached them. He said, "Ako pa rin, pinapadeliveran ko rito," in response to Flip's query.

"Kaya pala, walang food stocks dito," Flip responded, opening the pantry. "Puro junk food," he added.

Shyly, Justice shut the cabinet and said, "Food pa rin."

"Grocery tayo bukas," Philip stated. "Diab, kung okay sayo, ako na bahala sa foods ni Just when you're not around," he said to Javier.

With a nod after drinking in a glass, Javier returned to the living room and took possession of Just's couch.

Justice exclaimed, "We'll go shopping?" with enthusiasm. He hadn't visited a grocery store in a very long time. Usually, he just places food orders online. Furthermore, no one has ever gone grocery shopping with him.

Flip gave Just a childlike pat on the head while nodding.

They continued sipping their coffee on the veranda since Javier took over Just's sleeping spot in the living room. "What are you thinking now?" Justice asked his companion as he sipped his coffee.

Flip said, "Life with you," taking Just off guard and causing him to choke on his drink. "Are you okay?" He instantly responded with a thumbs up as soon as he could breathe again.

"Nambibigla ka naman," Justice retorted.

Flip said, "Sorry, you asked kasi." He continued, "I just had a thought about what life might be like if I were to marry you."

"I don't know, ask Jav—" he stopped as he realized what he was saying. He went on, saying, "We've been on each other's sides since we were young. You could just ask him, how's life living with me."

"Sa bagay, he seemed happy and content. I want those with you," Flip retorted, downing the remaining coffee in his cup.

"My heart is racing. Palpitations due to caffeine lang 'to," Justice reasoned in his head.

"I haven't apologized yet for the whole Jade situation. Ice is the living evidence that we hardly know each other," he said, leaving Justice confused.

Still not saying anything, Justice fixed his gaze on him. "I really do like you, and I'm not sure how to tell that. You evoked emotions in me that I don't typically feel toward people I've been set up with," he added.

"At this point, it's no longer due to caffeine. It's my brain sending signals of love to the adrenal gland responsible for secreting hormones, which flow through my blood and cause my heart to beat faster and stronger."

It seemed to him that Justice was not yet prepared to hear anything he had to say. So he said, "Aren't you going back?" and continued, "You can have my spot—," but he was startled and felt a sudden freeze of disbelief as the reality of Justice's lips on his sank in.

"You have me," Justice stated. "I'm letting you have me."