Epilogue

An old envelope on the floor was carefully picked up by a man's hand. As he opened it and read the first few lines of the letter, tears started to fall.

To Cullen's partner,

I never really knew what to write. But I feel the need to send this last letter to you. For without you, I could not possibly be able to part ways with Cullen peacefully.

He has been my constant. We are each other's. From day one up 'til now, my very last few breaths.

It would be selfish of me to ask you to make Cullen happy for me. Therefore, I won't beg or plead. Since he is an independent individual, all we can do is ensure that he leads a regret-free life.

He chose you to be his partner, and I'm glad to see him move forward, leaving the idea of us getting the future we have talked about. Because I cannot. Not that I don't want to, but my health won't allow me to.

I'm hoping Cullen will find some room in his heart to forgive me for not being able to fulfill all of our shared goals and desires.

And no, that's not my third and final wish. Because I know, somehow, Cullen will forgive me over time. That's how wonderful of a person he is, and to be loved by him is the greatest thing I could possibly have.

I therefore saved my final request for you. May you live your life with freedom. Whether it's with Cullen or someone else.

While I want Cullen to be happy, I also don't want to cause another person's sorrow.

But please let Cullen know that I love him always, in all ways.

Love,
Athena

The man wiped off his tears as someone spoke just around the corner of the room.

"Dada?" a child's voice said.

"Hey, Freedom."