18). Anika

ANIKA

As soon as I entered my apartment, I came face to face with a grinning Ayla.

I narrowed my eyes and asked her,
"Why are you looking at me like that?"
At this, her smile got even bigger.

"So…how was your date with Mr. Hollywood star?"

I chuckled at the ridiculous name that she came up with for Zane.

"Seriously Ayla, you couldn't come up with any short name? I know you can do better than this."

She just shrugged and said, "Uh-huh, don't divert the topic, woman. Tell me everything. What did you guys do? Where did you go? Did he kiss you? And did you kiss him back? Are you guys a couple now? If yes, then can you guys please adopt me? I'm gonna…"

"Stop, stop, stop. Hold your horses Ayla. We went for our first date. First. How can someone become a couple on their first date? And no we didn't kiss."

We didn't kiss but I wanted to. Really, really wanted to kiss him. It was the first time I was feeling that way. And let me tell you it's really scary. Being with him there, watching the beautiful stars with him, made my heart warm. It's a new feeling for me.

I've had crushes before. There was this guy in my school for whom I developed some feelings but after getting to know that he already had two girlfriends, who didn't know about each other's existence of course, they vanished completely. Then, there was a guy from my neighborhood, he was good looking and used to come to our home for studies with my brother. Of course, my brother had already told him that I was off-limits. So, not to create any problems for both of them , I pushed my feelings away and after a while they really went away. And that is it. These are the only instances where I felt something for a guy.

But what I am feeling for Zane is completely different. I've never felt like this for anyone. And it's making me freak out. All because he is a famous person. He must have dated before. Hell, he would've had a lot of girlfriends before. It's not new for him. But then comes, the way he suddenly came to this small town looking for me. Then he took me on my first date and how he arranged everything according to my taste. He could've easily taken me to some fancy restaurant and showed off his money, which I was expecting when he told me that he was taking me out.
But instead he took me to a planetarium. A place where I wanted to go for a long time. And suddenly, he became even more engrossed in me and my life than he already was.

"Hello, earth to Ika. Come back to real life and tell me the details already. I'm dying to know, what happened on your first date?"

I sat on the couch and she plopped down beside me. And then I told her everything that happened. From the bike ride to the planetarium to the adventurous ride back home.

"Wow… I didn't know you could ride a bike too. I'm sure Zane must've been surprised by your hidden talent."

I chuckled, remembering the look on his face while I was driving. It was hilarious. For a while, he couldn't think, what to say.

"Your chuckle is telling me that he had no clue what to say, right?" She said.
I laughed and nodded my head.

"I'm glad you had fun, because I have bad news." She said, sobering me.

"Please don't tell me the exam date sheet is out." I told her.

"It is. Exams are starting next week." She whined.

"Nooooo. We'll have to start preparing from tomorrow itself, then." I said.
Just then my phone started ringing. I picked it up and saw that my mom was. calling me.

I silently told Ayla that it was mom and then went into my room. I picked up and said, "Hello mumma. Kaise ho aap?"

"Hello, beta. Mai teekh hoon. How are you?"

"I'm good too, maa. How's Papa and Bhai?"

"They are good too. Actually I called you to ask whether you are coming for Rakhi?"

Ohhh! Rakhi.

"When is it?" I didn't even think about Raksha Bandhan.

"It's next month, Anu. Look if you can't come then I can send Rohan there. I'm sure he is missing you too."

I highly doubt that. But I can't let him come here. Actually I can't let anyone visit me.

"No, no, maa. Next week my exams are starting. And then my break will start. So, I'll come. No need to bother him. I'm sure he will be busy."

When we were kids, we were really close. But since he started going to court, we've fallen apart. I really miss him but every one of the conversations ends up in arguments.

"Not for her sister, Anu. Try to understand him sometimes, beta. He loves you."

Huh, everytime I have to understand when he doesn't even try to hear my side. But I don't wanna get into this with her right now.

"Yes maa. I love you guys too. Anyways it's really late here. I should go to sleep now."

"Oh yes, yes. I forget about the time difference. You go sleep, beta. We'll talk later. Radhe Krishna."

"Radhe Krishna, maa."

After handing up, I texted Zane.

'Thank you for this very lovely and amazing day, Zane.'

Instantly his reply came back.

'No need for thanks, firefly. It was amazing for me too.'

I smiled. Then, I did my night routine, changed into my pajamas and went to bed with the thought that I have to come clean to my parents as soon as possible, before everything goes southways.