Me? I'm as good as new

SARA: 

 I completed signing the documents that were stacked on my desk. It was already 3:30 in the afternoon, and I had been cooped up in my room since the morning. I needed some fresh air. Dressed in blue jeans, a black t-shirt, and a houndstooth blazer, I rose from my chair and left the room. 

My assistant was at her desk when I passed by. "I've signed the documents," I informed her before making my way to the balcony. Rani followed me and stood beside me. 

 "How are things going with the transport website?" I inquired. 

 "Better than we expected. Our teams did an excellent job and completed it within the timeframe we set," Rani replied with a smile. 

 "Good," I sighed.

 "Are you okay?" Rani asked, concern in her eyes. 

 "Me? I'm as good as new," I replied with a smile. She nodded and continued to watch me.

 "I'll pick up the kids today," I said.

 "Make sure Madhav brings his lunch bag with him; he always forgets his things," Rani complained. 

 "Is the bag count now at 14, I suppose?" I teased. 

 "15th one," Rani confirmed with a sigh. I chuckled, and she sighed again. 

 "He's just a 5-year-old boy; he'll learn," I reassured her. She nodded.

 "And our company's anniversary is coming up next month," Rani mentioned. 

 "I know, it's the 4th anniversary," I replied with a sigh. 

 "Yes," she confirmed. 

 "I can't believe it. We started this company almost 4 years ago, but it feels like it was just 6 months ago," I said.

 "Time goes by quickly," Rani added.

 "Kids grow even faster," I smiled.

 "Yeah, Padma and Madhav were so tiny back then, but look at them now, their heads reach our hips," Rani observed.

 "Alright, if I leave now, I can make it to the daycare on time," I said. 

 "Okay, bye. I'll pick up Madhav as usual from your home," Rani replied. I nodded and left. 

 The company was relatively small, and I had named it after Dev. It had been six years since he had gone. Our company occupied three floors and a rooftop. Despite its size, our building was equipped with all the facilities for the employees to relax. The company had a vibrant and colorful appearance, thanks to a designer recommended by a friend who did an excellent job.

 I still used Dev's Scorpio, the same car he had left behind. I drove straight to the daycare. I had saved up the money over a year to start the company, and Rani had become my partner. Dev's company specialized in developing software projects that were small and compact. While many companies sought large projects, there was a need for customized small projects, and we aimed to meet that demand. 

 I arrived at the daycare 10 minutes early. After Dev's passing, I had spent a year away from the city. I did this because I didn't want anyone to start suspecting the presence of the baby, which would have made things even more complicated. My parents were saddened by the loss, and I couldn't pretend to be fine.

 Everyone around me felt my pain, and I couldn't hide my emotions or fake a smile for them. I needed time to be alone, to grieve, and to let my emotions out without anyone having to care about it. So, I had left the city for a year and returned with new ideas.