Without him, I'm like a puzzle missing its pieces

I sighed and gazed at the bright and beautiful moon. After a moment, I returned inside. 

"Padma, let's sleep," I said. 

She protested, "Amma, just a bit more." 

 I insisted, "No, it's late, come on." She obediently turned off the TV.

 "Very good, tomorrow you don't have to go to school," I added. 

 "Really?" she asked with excitement.

 I couldn't help but grin. "Yes." Her joy was evident as she jumped around. Kids rarely enjoyed going to school, but Padma was different. However, when she did have a day off, I often took her to work with me, which she loved because of all the colors in my workplace. 

 We both lay down on the bed. But suddenly, a strange sound woke me up. The bathroom light was on, visible through the gap in the door. Dev exited the bathroom and switched off the light. I pretended to be asleep, keeping an eye on him.

 He approached the bed, and his hand moved towards me, making me nervous. He lifted the bedsheet to cover my shoulders, gently pushed my hair away from my face, and I closed my eyes. After a moment, I heard his footsteps moving away from the bed. I let out a sigh of relief. 

 Then, I heard more sounds coming from the living room. Unable to sleep, I decided to check on Padma, who had fallen asleep, and ventured out of the room. Dev was sitting on the sofa, silently watching TV. When he noticed me, he turned to look at me. 

 "You're awake?" I framed it as a question.

 "Yeah," he replied, tapping the sofa beside him. I joined him on the sofa. 

"What about you?" he inquired.

 "I often wake up like this in the middle of the night," I explained. 

 "Why?" he asked. 

 "Since my husband left, things have been different for me. I have irregular sleep patterns, and I try to dream about him," I replied. 

 "Do you miss him?" he inquired. I turned to him.

 "A lot," I admitted.

 "Did he leave you?" he continued.

 "It's complicated," I replied. He nodded.

 "Tell me about him," he requested.

 "About him?" I smiled, and he nodded, returning the smile. 

"There's so much to say. These nights are not enough," I chuckled. 

 "Try me," he encouraged. 

 "He is my everything. Without him, I'm like a puzzle missing its pieces. If he were with me, my life would be amazing. Even though meeting him was an accident, I would love to have that accident again. The way he smiles at me, the way he winks at me, he's so beautiful," I shared with a fond smile. 

"Wow, look at you, your face lights up when you talk about him," he remarked. 

 "Yes, but now, it's all fading," I sighed. 

 "What about Padma? Has she ever seen her father?" Dev inquired.

 "He saw her right after she was born, on the third day, and then he left. I've shown her pictures and told her he's her father, but I don't think she remembers his face well now. He must be seeing both of us, even now," I explained. 

 "Sure he is," Dev reassured me. I nodded, and he fell silent, his gaze locked on me. I wanted to etch his face into my memory. Then, he leaned in closer to me, his hand gently touching my face. I hadn't felt this much comfort in the past six years. I took a deep breath, exhaling all the pent-up tension in my chest. He kissed my neck, and I held his jaw with my right hand, turning his gaze to meet mine. Our breaths were heavy, and I found myself staring at his lips.