Smile a little

SARA:

I walked out, and Padma was beaming at the teddy, genuinely thrilled. She jumped and hugged Dev, her head reaching up to his upper thigh. Dev lifted her up. "Do you like it?" he asked. 

"Yes," she grinned and planted a kiss on his cheek.

 "Give me another," he teased, turning his other cheek toward her. She happily obliged.

 "Okay, guys, it's time for a little nap," I interjected.

 "Yeah, right," Dev chuckled. Padma's face looked sad.

"Padma, you've been awake for a long time, so it's time to go back to sleep," he gently explained. 

"Why? How long do I have to be like this?" Padma inquired. 

"Do you know Chitragupta, right?" I asked her. 

"Who?" she replied. 

"The one who got you this tablet," I gestured to her tablet on the sofa. 

"Oh, yes, thatha," she recalled. 

" Exactly. He's the one looking for the cure. He'll find it soon, but until then, we need to be patient," I reassured her. 

"Hmm, I want to meet thatha and paati," she expressed. 

"We will, pretty soon," I promised.

 "Paati?" Dev questioned. 

"She means my parents," I clarified. Dev nodded. 

"Okay, come on," I said, and Dev placed the chain around her neck, cradling her to sleep without letting her lie down. 

"So, are you feeling more comfortable now?" I asked Dev. 

He seemed confused by my question. "What do you mean?" he inquired.

"Just because we're married, doesn't mean you can overstep boundaries," I explained.

 "You never objected. If you had said 'no,' I would have backed off," Dev said. 

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow.

 "Yeah," he smirked.

 "What about those words you said, that things can't be changed? How can you be so certain?" I probed. 

"Because they can't," he replied.

 "What if I decide to divorce you?" I challenged. 

 "You won't," he stated confidently. 

"Why? Maybe I should explore more, you know, a normal life without these supernatural things. It's exhausting," I teased, smiling playfully. 

 "Well, one thing I do know is that you always prioritize our daughter. And of course, you know I'll be the best father for her, the real one. So, you won't divorce me or be with another man," he said, a confident smile playing on his lips. He seemed so composed, making me feel out of place in the room. I hated how effortlessly he maintained control and always seemed to be right. I stopped smiling and let out a sigh. 

 "You're right. For her sake, I'm living this entire damn life. She's still suffering for the mistake we made. We never should've gotten together in the first place, Dev. I hate that you're always right. The truth is, you were right from the start, and I'm the one who made the mistake of having you with me," I blurted out. Oh no, why did I say that? Come on, Sara, can't you control what comes out of your mouth? Dev's expression turned emotionless. 

 "I'm sorry, I was just teasing you, playing around. You took it to a different level, and I see you're serious. I've realized I can't even be friendly with you. I'm still an outsider in your eyes," he said, his words leaving me with regret. What have you done, Sara? You're a complete mess. He's genuinely hurt now. I can see it in his eyes, even though his face remains composed. Today is his birthday, Sara. I should have exercised more patience.