Another Tango Tale

TW: Kidnapping, being experimented on

3rd Person POV

"Tango hurry up! Dad said we can make cookies!"

"I'm coming!"

The teen shakes his head fondly, closing his locker and walking outside. 

"Ready?" Zed slowly starts walking backwards.

"Yep, come on."

The three make their way down the sidewalk toward Impulse's house, talking about random topics on the way.

"He did not!"

"He did! And he got away with it."

"I'm sure Skizz will get in trouble tomorrow."

"Probably."

"So the important question we've all been waiting for, what kind of cookies are we making?"

"All of them of course."

"Zed, we can't make all of them."

"That sounds like a challenge."

"Ah shoot."

"What's wrong Tang?"

"I forgot my history book in my locker, I'll meet you guys at the house, ok?"

"Do you want us to come with?"

"No its ok, I'll be quick. You two start without me."

"Ok, don't be slow."

"I won't!" 

Tango turns around, running back to the school. He quickly grabs his book out of his locker before exiting the building once more.

"Excuse me, are you Tango?"

He takes a small step back, "Pardon?"

"I'm looking for a Tango, the principal needs him."

"I'm sorry but I don't know who that is, excuse me."

He tries to walk past but is grabbed by the man.

"Nice try kid but you're coming with me."

"Let me go!"

"There's a nice reward for finding you hybrids, today's my lucky day."

The teen's heart stops, he was going to be experimented on. He heard the horror stories about what those labs did to hybrids, if he didn't get out of this he'd never see Impulse or Zedaph again. 

Tango struggles against the man before finding himself in the back of a truck. The metal door closes and Tango makes a small flame in order to see. There was nothing in the truck, just a bench. 

Eventually the vehicle rolls to a stop and the blaze is pulled out of the truck a pair of cuffs clasping on his wrist. Panic settles deep inside of his as he's thrown into a room.  

The teen claws at the metal bands on his wrist, wishing he hadn't gone back for that stupid book. The room cools, goosebumps running along the Nether hybrid's skin.

"No...please no, I don't want to die here."

He leans against the wall, sliding to the ground as the room grows colder. Tango hugs his knees, shivering.

"Please...."

His breathing slows as the world starts to spin.

"Impulse...Zedaph....I'm sorry..."

The scientist study him from outside the room, turning the cold up more. Tango gasp, pulling his hood up, it was too cold. He wanted to go to Impulse's, he wanted to bake cookies. Tears fill his eyes, burning his face as they fall.

"Turn the sprinkler on."

A small scream escapes his lips as water lands on his exposed skin. The blaze pulls his sleeves down and hood up further, trying to block the water from his skin. A sob racks his body, he was going to die here...he was never going to see his friends again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Dad we're home!"

"Hey kiddos, where's Tango?"

"He had to run back for a book, he told us to get started."

"Alright, wash your hands and then you can bake."

"Thanks dad!"

"No problem, have fun while I'm at work."

"We will!"

The door closes and two wash up before getting started. Zed preheats the oven as Impulse starts on the dough.

Zed turns to the taller as they put the first batch in the oven, "I'm starting to worry, Tango should've been here by now."

"I know...it shouldn't be taking this long."

"Should we go look for him?"

"One of us has to stay here so the house doesn't burn down."

"Right..."

Impulse slides over to the home phone as it rings, answering it, "Hello?"

"Oh hey dad, what's up?"

The phone falls from his hand, Impulse standing there in shock.

"Impulse? Impulse! Zedaph!"

Zed grabs the phone, "What happened?"

"W-what..."

"...Ok..." Zed hangs up, putting the phone down as tears fill his eyes.

Impulse pulls him into a hug, holding the shorter close.

"H-how could th-they take him?"

"I don't know..."

"We'll g-get him bac-back, right?"

"....Yeah...we'll find him Zed."

A few tears fall as Impulse holds a crying Zedaph close. 

Tango was gone.

And there was nothing they could do about it.

If only Impulse had gone with him.