It's Not Real

TW: The start is Ren angst :[

3rd Person POV

"Ren, you in here?" Doc steps into the van.

"Yep...what's up?"

"I had some ideas for the Oct-" He stops seeing his friend curled up on the bed, "Ren? Are you ok?"

"Yeah, just tired, what were you saying?"

"...That time of season again?"

There's a small whimper before the covers go over Ren's head, Doc's heart breaking at the sight. The creeper kneels in front of the bed, gently lifting the blanket up.

"Why didn't you come to me?"

"It's not something I should be bothering you with."

"You shouldn't be alone, though, Ren."

"I've been alone for a long time, Doc. I'll survive."

"Ren..."

"You don't get it, Doc. You weren't abandoned at a young age with no one to take care of you. You don't have to worry about instincts going crazy every few months because you don't have anyone...You don't have to deal with the pain of being alone."

The taller gently wipes the tears away, brushing the hair out of his face.

"That's why you're supposed to come to me, Ren, so you don't have to be alone."

"It's not the same."

"I want to help you, Ren."

"You cant, it doesn't work like that, Doc."

The brunette buries his face in his knees, ears pressed flat against his head.

"Ren, look at me."

The Hermit doesn't budge, not wanting Doc to see how broken he felt. The German gently starts petting his ears, trying to coax the shorter out of hiding.

"Don't make me use your weakness Ren, please look at me."

Ren lifts his head up, refusing to meet the other's gaze.

"Ren, come on now."

He rubs the tears from his eyes, finally looking up to meet Doc's gaze.

"There's those beautiful eyes."

"Do,  please, I just...want to be alone right now."

"Normall,  I would g,  but I know that's the opposite of what you wan,  so no, I'm not going to leave you alone."

"Doc-"

"Hush, let me help."

Ignoring the protest from the Hermit Doc lays down next to Ren, pulling him to his chest.

"Relax, I've got you."

Ren freezes, a sense of calm rolling over his body, causing him to relax into Doc's hold.

"See? What'd I tell you?"

"Yea,  yeah, whateve,  man."

"Do you feel better?"

"Yes, thank yo,  Doc."

"Anytime, you going to come to me next time?"

"Probably not."

"Ren-"

It'ss not that eas,  Doc. This hurt. It hurts so much."

"Why does it hurt?"

"Because it's not real, Doc! None of this is real. You know that."

Doc had two options now. He could lie and try to comfort Ren, or he could be honest, risk rejection, or get lucky and be able to really help Ren.

"...It could be real."

"What do you mean?" He tilts his head up to look at the Hermit.

With one hand, Doc slowly intertwines their fingers, moving to sit up, pulling Ren up with him.

"Ren, we've been friends for a long time now, and for quite some time, I've wanted more than that with you. What I mean is I've grown affections for you that I don't have with the others."

"...You want to date?"

Doc nods, watching Ren think. He was sure Ren could hear his heart hammering in his chest. Doc hadn't been this nervous since Zed was born, and he was left as a single father.

"Ren? Did I overstep?"

"No, no, I'm just trying to not loose control and kiss you right now."

Doc smiles, leaning in closer, "It's ok, Ren, you can let go."

"Don't you dare start that."

"Ren, I'm giving you permission," He gently pets the brunette, "It's ok."

He closes his eyes, refusing to look at Doc and taking a deep breath.

"Ren, if you don't kiss me, I'm goi-"

Doc is cut off by the smaller kissing him, the goat wrapping his arms loosely around his waist.

"The others are going to go crazy."

"Who said we had to tell anyone?"

"You're not going to tell anyone? Not even Zed and Sam?"

"Well, ok, I'll tell them, but we don't have to tell anyone if we don't want to."

Ren smiles, "It could be our little secret."

"Only if you want it to be."

"I think for right now I'd like that, you can tell Zed and Sam, though."

Doc kisses the top of his head, smiling when he notices the shorter's tail wag.

"Someone's happy."

"Shut it."

"Do you feel better now?"

"Yes."

And he did, Ren felt happy, he felt whole, he felt loved, something he hasn't felt in a long long time.